Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New guy question (oil pan and rear axle)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by VII, Mar 14, 2005.

1. VII

VII Registered Member

Hi, I have recently purchased a 1986 K5 with a 305 in need of some restauration but still in running order. This is probably going to be a long term project and I will probably need some input :D. This truck has allready got the nickname Ball and Chain and is going to be my newest money pit.

Ok, for the question, the oil pan is rotted and will need to be replaced. I allready have an aftermarket oil pan and gasket, is there any other parts I will need or any other problems I might run into?

Second, I have a broken stud on the rear axle, probably the first owner who tried a little too hard to take off a tire. How do I replace those?

Thank you for your time

VII

2. jk5blazer

jk5blazer 1/2 ton status

Hey man, your story sounds alot like mine. For the oil pan, there shouldnt be to many problems takin it off. If its an auto trans, y'll have to take the fly wheel cover off as well as the two support bars attached to it. Just be sure to get off all of the old gasket thats key. If your in their and the motor has not been rebuilt yet, you might as well replace the rear main seal. It's pretty easy. Its a two peice seal so you don't have to take the crank out. As for the stud that will be very easy. All you need to do if its a 10 or 12 bolt is knock out the broken stud and replace it with a new one. Although not sure if you can do it with the axle still in the housing, if not, that would make it more difficult,but not to bad. Im sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. They always do. Good luck hope my 2 cents helped, if not just make me think it did.

3. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

you can easliy replace the rear stud with the axle still in, you will need an air gun(impact gun) two lug nuts, a extra large nut(bigger than the lug nut), and some lube, i used slye glide, i think thats how its spelt. but vasoline or even ky works in a pinch..lube up the shank of the new stud, and lube the hole it goes into. slide the lug in through the rear of the hole, place the extra large nut over the stud then hand thread the lug nut on. the lug nut should only go down to the extra large nut, if it goes though it you need a smaller one..then put your socket and impact on the lug nut and tourque it on, the lug nut will press against the extra large nut, there for stopping its down ward movement, and then start pulling the stud through the hole, keep going until the stud is flush with the back of the hole..reverse the gun, take of the lug nut, and the extra large washer and put your wheel back on and install the other lug nut..and your set..when i worked at a tire store thats how we always replaced broken ones, and it workes everytime..done it on my own truck and have never had a problem

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I reccomend doing the oil pump while you have the pan off , easy enough to do , they don't go bad often , but a new one is cheap peace of mind :k5: :k5:

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Must be an 86 305 thing...

Hmmm--the 86 305 i put in my 79 C10 had a rotted oilpan too!--it should have a one peice gasket(rubber)and you MIGHT be able to re-use it,if not the "cheap" version at auto zone is still a fel-pro gasket,the one I got was 18 bucks VS 35 bucks for the one in the "blue stripe" fel-pro box--both look identical to me,even had the same part number molded into it!
    That was the first year for a one peice rear main seal too--it looks like the seal behind your front wheel bearings or any other seal--but to replace it you must pull the tranny out--they usually dont leak that often on that style seal--mine was dry,so I didnt touch it..

I put a new oil pump and pickup tube/screen in it,and new timing chain and gears--found teeth from the cam gear in the oil pump screen(and a few got inside and it felt "lumpy" when I spun the shaft by hand,so for 12.99 at auto zone I got a stock replacement melling oil pump,and for about 15 bucks more I got a steel sleeved driveshaft for the pump and the screen/pickup tube--I bet you find your 305 will need theese things replaced too,especially if its got a hundred thousand miles or more on it...good insurance...:crazy:

6. VII

VII Registered Member

Thanks for the infos guys

and yes diesel4me, this thing have a little more than an hundred thousand, I believe the warranty has expired :grin: ... gotta love that truck