Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new guy w/ question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sapper, Jul 13, 2001.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

with the 14 bolt what is the difference in ff and sf? and in a truck only going to 38s would there be a big advantange to either one?

2. nd_4_mud

nd_4_mud Registered Member

Welcome to the board. The difference between the ff and the sf is that the ff's axles are bolted to the rear and the ring diamiter is 10.5 inch. And the sf is a c-clip that holds the axle in the houseing and the ring diamiter is 9.5 inch. With 38 i would run with the ff and not the sf. If i am mistaken please let me know.

Knowledge is the key to the universe, and I hold that key when i am sleeping.[​IMG]

3. sapper

hey thanks, i'v read enogh to know that the ff is stronger just not sure if there was a certain tire size or horse power limit for the sf. probably go with the ff in the end. thanks

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Once you get up in the size range your past the gray area with a 12 bolt your way past it with a 10 bolt and if your going to wheel it leave the front open and still expect breakage. Really your into the D60 front area of the game or you better get use to replacing axle shafts. 36's is pushing it with the D44/10 fronts and 12 bolt rear.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</A>

Grim-Reaper

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can break an axle on the FF and the wheel/axle stays with the hub as opposed to your wheel falling off and causing even more problems with the SF,12, and 10.

Dave

If You Drink Don't Park, Accidents Cause People.

6. sapper

well that makes it an easy choice. you will know when i find one- more questions