Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new guy with a few questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DaneW, Oct 2, 2002.

1. DaneW

DaneW Registered Member

I just purchased a 76 c-10. I had a few questions.
    When I drove it home I noticed that it wanders a LOT! The guy told me that it does that because the steering stabalizers are shot. But I think it is more than that.
    Another is that when you give the 454 some gas it dies down and almost dies then it goes. Will this be cured by a carb rebuild. If anyone can give me any input on these things it would be greatly appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Check the tierod ends and the ball joints they are probably shot too. As far as the carb i would rebuild it and give the whole engine a good tuneup and that should take care of it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the board. I think your wandering could be you alignment/ball joint/tierod ends/play in your steering box. Have someone turn your wheel back and forth with your truck off and check for play. Then do it again with it on. Next jack up the front end and try to wiggle your wheel from top to bottom to check your balljoints.
    Good luck

4. GadgetK5

GadgetK5 Registered Member

The problem with the acceleration is most likely a problem with the throttle pump -- the carb squirts extra gas to give the engine a little pick-me-up when the throttle is depressed. Remove the air cleaner and look/listen for it when pressing the throttle -- it should be a healthy spray visible in the carb.

Yes, a rebuild should fix this.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

One more thing most people dimiss with this problem of wandering is the tires, if they have flat spots, are not true circles anymore or the worst, having the tread not square will have a lot of wandering, and the steering shck only hides this problem.
    I had this problem and I fixed everything in my suspension and didn't cure it untill I put my new 35" tires and it just pulled straight with no wobble, wandering or vibration.
    That one is easy to check, first look for the obvious, high or low spots on the surface of the tire. Then lift the tire off the ground and roll the tire and look at the surface, if you see it gong up and down or you feel it's twisting then you found your problem.
    IceMan

6. Another way to check the tire for uneven wear is to remove it and roll it along a flat surface. It shouldn't wobble from side to side and it should stay in a straight line.

7. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

check ur fuel filter!!

8. DaneW

DaneW Registered Member

Hey guys thanks for the warm welcome and thanks a million for the information! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif