Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New guy with a transmission question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Larry_in_Tx, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

Hi all, another new guy here. I've been hanging around here for a while and wanted to say thanks for all the help ya'll have lent me so far. My truck is still in pieces but I think I'm headed in the right direction.
    Now for the question part. I recently picked up a 454 to put in my'72 Jimmy and it's got me thinking about swapping the 350 tranny out for a 400. If I find a 400 that had a 205 t-case behind it, I figure bolting it up to my 205 shouldn't be a problem. It's pretty much anything else I may run into that I'm curious about. No matter how much thought I put into doing something on my truck, it seems like I always overlook something.
    Tanks for any help

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Your 205 will not bolt up to a TH400. The TH400 version of the 205 uses a 32 spline female input shaft, where your TH350 version has a 27 spline male shaft. The adapter is also different, as the TH400 has a larger 6 bolt circle on the back of the tranny vs. the smaller 4 bolt pattern on your TH350.

3. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

I've modified my HT350 to handle 400ft/lb of torque. There are pieces that can make it handle more (cost starts to go exponential) depending on how far you intend to modify the 454. Not to say that the 400 isn't a stronger box, but there are upgrades that make the HT350 stronger and you don't have to swap out other stuff.

I spent $575 (in parts (including a TC)) to totally rebuild mine with the upgrades. (check out member link)

The thing that sucks about "more power", besides the cost of the engine, is the added stress on the drivetrain that you have to account for... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif