Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Guy with questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lasarus22, Apr 5, 2003.

1. lasarus22

lasarus22 Newbie

Hello, I am new to the Chevy scence. The reason I am here is becasue I like the looks of the K-5's and need a good tow vehicle for my 1978 Jeep Cherokee Chief. There is one for sale near me for 3800. It looks to be lifted 8-12 inches with 35's....how much is too much and what do you need to look for when buying one of these things? Is there any other info one needs to know when considering these machines for off road? Whats the stock drivetrain like? Whats the reccomended drivetrain for muddin and mild off roading? Thanks all.... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Welcome to CK5. I think 12inch lift is way too much. Most here have 4-6inch lifts. The most important thing with these trucks is the rust factor. The price is ok if there
    is little to no rust. You need to inspect everything..under carpet, seats, dast, out windshield area, rocker panels, tailgate, etc. Also, ask them to run a water hose over the outside of the front windshield to check for leaks that are not visible. Everything else can be fixed or repaired easily.

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

FYI k5's do not make good tow rigs, the wheel base is to short which will make towing a load like you talking about very unpleasant. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

> Hello, I am new to the Chevy scence. The reason I am
    > here is becasue I like the looks of the K-5's and need a
    > good tow vehicle for my 1978 Jeep Cherokee Chief.

some peeps tow with a K5, mine came from the factory with a "towing package" so it must not only be possible but also approved by peeps who are scared of law-suits... assuming you do it right. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

> There is one for sale near me for 3800. It looks to be
    > lifted 8-12 inches with 35's....how much is too much

unless it looks REALLY goofy I doubt it has that much lift with 35s. If you check my webshots I have lots of pics of 4-5" of lift with 35s. For 35s, IMO, 8" is too much lift. 4" is best, 6" is ok especially if you are one of them types that doesnt like fender trimming.

> and
    > what do you need to look for when buying one of these
    > things?

Im not a mech, so I always take used vehicles I want to a pro to have them check it out b4 i buy. It would suck to buy a lemon...

> Is there any other info one needs to know when
    > considering these machines for off road? Whats the stock
    > drivetrain like?

impossible to say until you tell us what year it is. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Even with that info... if its been lifted its not outside the realm of possibility that some of the drivetrain componets have been upgraded/swapped as well. If I decided to sell my rig tomorow, for instance, not a single drivetrain part is the same as the factory-installed stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The best advice i can give? check out the axle-identification guide here on ck5... and then go and check the rig out again with that knowledge in mind. if the engine/tranny/tcase is factory... what types they are will prolly be listed in the factory sticker in the glove box.

> Whats the reccomended drivetrain for muddin and mild off
    > roading? Thanks all

for mild stuff the stock drivetrain should be fine.

j