Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Guy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mrkay, Mar 22, 2000.

1. mrkay

mrkay Registered Member

Well, I've finally joined you guys after lurking for a few months now. I just purchased an 88 Chevy Blazer and love it. It's in pretty good shape. 350/auto w/OD Silverado.

I'm glad to be in a forum of real k5 inthusiasts because it's tough to get answers unless you belong to a club.

I have to buy new tires to pass the MA inspection and thought I'd check with you guys to see what tires I can use with my stock rims without cutting the fender wells.

Regards to all,

mrkay

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

MrKay,
    Glad to have you dude.
    How do you plan on using your Blazer? Are you gonna lift it eventually and take it to the dirt, or street only? I think, 31" tires is the max you could go for a stock blazer. I like the look of BFG's All terain. Very good for street and not too bad for offroad. Best of luck and welcome to the FAMILY.
    Boss

3. mrkay

mrkay Registered Member

Dear Boss...I started to look at more aggresive tires because this truck came with runningboards. The runningboards made the stock 31's look narrow. I figured, since I have to get new tires anyway, why not go for some wider ones. I found out that I'd have to get new rims if I went any wider than the 10.5.

So, now, I guess I'll have to look for an aggressive looking tire that looks a little fatter and fit on the stock rims.

mrkay

4. Boss

MrKay,

Yeah, the 31" tires are 31"x10.5", then 32"x11.5 and the 33"x12.5. That's how they go up. In my opinion, runningboards don't look so good on Blazers. Anyways, the new BFG's All Terain "KO" do look pretty aggressive. The side wall of the tire now have ridges on it. My brother has a set of the KO's 31"x10.5 on his S10. I'll try looking for some pics and send them to you if you don't already know what they look like.
    Boss

5. mrkay

mrkay Registered Member

Boss...
    I don't like the runningboards either. The new style with matching paint are'nt so bad because they don't stick out near the wheel wells.

Maybe, at some point, I'll pull them off and go for the newer style. The little woman has to be able to get in easily.

I don't plan on scratching this truck up in the woods, but I might take her out on the beach or under the power lines to climb a few hills once in awhile. This will probably be the extent of my off-roading. Do you think those KO's will do the trick?

mrkay

6. WELLH2O

WELLH2O Registered Member

I just put a set of 32 X 11.5 BF Goodrich Radial Mud Terrains on 15 X 10 rims and I love the way it looks, they fill up the wheel wells but do not rub anywhere and allow for full articulation. If you are looking for the largest you can go I would say these would be your best bet.

7. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

You have came to the right place! COK5 is the Best all K5 site on the planet. About the tires. I have a friend that installed 33x12.5" tires on 15"x10" rims. Your stock 8" rims should hold a tire up to 12.5" easily. I would not spend any money on smaller tires, but thats just me. All stock Blazers are just aching for 33" tires. They will fit, trust me. You will be pleased with the looks if you go with the bigger tires. Good luck.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

8. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

9. Boss

MrKay,

About the KO's. Yeah, they would certainly do the trick if that's what you're gonna do with your truck. They are really not bad tires even for offroad and plus they wear really well too.
    Now, if some of yall say 33" tires can fit without a lift or trim, then I would have to believe yah b/c I have not witnessed it myself, but I would have to say that is pushing it.
    Boss

10. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

i do a lot of wheelin down @ Myles Standish...
    dont tell the E p though...

11. mrkay

mrkay Registered Member

Don't worry ""b"" not a word shall pass my lips..

Well, From the sounds of it, It looks like I can get BF Goodrich M/T's that are 32x11.5 and still fit them on my stock 8" rims and have clearance too. If they look wider and better than the stock size A/T 's that are on it now, then I'm doing it this weekend!

mrkay

12. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

thats the same setup iam planning on
    when the time comes...
    best bet for b/f's
    would be BJ's Wholesale
    i know there's one in Weymouth

13. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

When I start my journey down K5 land. I had 31" Tires on my 79'. I bought some trailblazer 33x12.50" tires from Sears that were great. They fit just fine wit ha na occasional inside rub on my 8.5 rims. Then I started managing a car stereo store and one of my employees hada huge bronco that dwarfed my chevy. I mean it looked like an S-10 blazer compared to his. I was bit at that time to lift my vehicle and it hasnt stopped since. Oh yeah and running boards on blazers don't look quite right. It makes them look alot lower than they are. Have you thought of hoops or those auto steps?

14. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

33\'s without a problem

'89, stock (no lift)
    33's fit with nary a rub. i kinda tax them, too.
    some nerf bars are what you want on the sides.. they make ya look like you're serious, and they give your lady somewwhere to step up.
    what color is your rig? mine is black, and i'm going with black accessories (nerfs, pushbar, etc). chrome looks good, depends on yer paint scheme.

anyway, welcome to blazerville.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

15. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

The BFG 32"X11.5" MT's will look great on your factory rims. If you go with 33"X12.5" tires and you get twisted at all off road they're gonna do sheet metal damage. The 32's are pushing the limits. If your gonna drive around town as a parade queen then you can probably use the 33's.
    CB

16. mrkay

mrkay Registered Member

Well, Boss, I'm leaning toward going up from the 31" x 10.5 to the 32" 11.5 M/T's. Thanks azk5. And ""b"", I'll head on up to Weymouth to BJ's Wholesale to pick them up.

My truck is dark blue with electric blue on the sides. Black nerfs would look great on her.

So much to do - so little money...Thank you all for your help.

mrkay

17. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

I just put 32 x 11.50 Swamper TSL SX's on my stock 88 (wheels and all). They fit good with no rubbing and boy do they ever work off road!
    Curtis

18. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Welcome, your stock rim will handle any of the tires listed, I have 35x12.50's on stock rims. 32x11.50 fits great. 33x9.50 usualy fit, might hit those running boards, though. 33x12.50 usualy rub, but normally fit w/ front add-a-leaf & rear block. Remember, your rims width and off-set, along with your driving style will have a big impact on this. A good tire shop will test fit anything they have in stock. Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC

19. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Hey 1bad2, ran 32/11.50 SX's for a while ,too.Watch out if you run topless in the mud,everybody in the back catches the "mud measles" Nice and quiet on the street,too,ain't they?

20. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

hey az
    maybe its still too early, with not enough coffe yet, but why does someone have to be a parade queen to run 33's?
    i've got 33's with no lift, and i'll wheel 'til the cows come home and go back out! and maybe i'm not an offroad stud like you, but i've been up a hill or two, and the only twisted sheet metal was from a log i forgot about.
    just cause the rig ain't lifted and rollin on 44" mudders don't make it a f*ucking parade queen.

like i said, maybe its too early.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>