Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Guy

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by mosesburb, Apr 22, 2003.

1. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Howdy All! Well, after listening to Doug Wright (K5NUTT) rave about all the features and great people on this site I figured I should check it out. He posted an item I have for sale (early '80s NP205 for a TH400/475) and while checking out the posting I saw what he meant. I had casually perused the site before but did not realize what all was available here, both in info, products and most importantly the people. Please don't hate me, but I don't own a Blazer. I actually purchased Dug Right's '72 K10 Suburban a couple years ago. I built it up with a Gen V 454, TH475, NP205, 14B FF, early 44-5F, installed a 31 gal fuel reservoir, lifted four inches (conservative measurement), added an aluminum radiator, built my own dual 2.5"into a single 3.5"exhaust system (first one I built completely), converted the A/C from a POA/expansion valve to a CCOT (accumulator/orifice tube) system, added a full height condenser, created a bitchin'wiring harness using an '89 Sub fuseblock an '80ish bulkhead connector and wired the truck from the dash forward using all OE terminals/connectors/high temp TXL wire and OE crimping tools. In doing so I rid the vehicle of factory installed fire-hazards and factory equipped overloaded circuits (several) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Vehicle turned out very well, ran great, sounded very strong and generally looked good. Then I took it apart /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif How smart am I?? Well with fuel prices as they are I decided to Diesel Power the unit. I acquired an early 90's Cummins 5.9L 6BT, with a complete Banks Power Pack on it. Sooooo, now I am in the process of converting this behemoth into a Diesel unit, figuring this would be the only way I could afford to visit Dug in Colorado and still have fuel cash to wheel once I got there /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    When I'm not physically working on my project, I manage an independent auto parts store in PHX, so if you have any questions about parts availability, pricing, or most importantly quality, Just let me know. I can get a full line of Delco parts as well as most aftermarket parts lines (not too into accessories or oils) I do have alot of BG Products in stock as well and have the full line avail if anyone likes them but can't find them. As DW mentioned I am quite heavy into vehicle wiring. This came out of necessity because I could not stomach spending the coin some of the well known wiring suppliers charge for their products /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I also figured I would end up throwing much of it away because of other vehicle mods as my first project was a '71 Nova 350 TBI (before this was common), 700R4, Four wheel disc, converted A/C to CCOT, Dual electric fans..wouldn't be too much left of an oe replacement harness when I got done, so I started collecting terminals/connectors about 15yrs ago and by now I have a pretty good stash of them built up. This being the casse if anyone needs to dispose of an old harness, I am usually interested. If you need something electrical that seems unavailable, I may have it or may be able to tell you where you can find it. I am quite well versed in GM cars and trucks so if I can be of any assistance, please let me know. Apologies for the length of this (usually I am quite concise), Dug says you all are pretty tight knit so I wanted to let you know who this Floozie is responding to your posts. Take care, and I'm sure I'll see you down the trail somewhere /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif!! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif
    Nick Blank
    mosesburb72@yahoo.com
    nick@tatumauto.coxatwork.com

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nick,
    Welcome to the forums. I too hung around for months if not a year before I even registered. I am converting my 78 Sub from a 396/th400 to a 6.5TD/4L80E. Where is your store at and what part of town do you live in?
    Mark

3. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Nick,

Congradulation, on your first post, we feel honored that your would post it here in our hometown forum. We all miss Doug, he was a great guy. Lots on fun on the trail, although he snores something awful.... Man can that man cut some firewood.

Anyway, congradulation, and welcome aboard. We are not as tough of a bunch as you think, and hell just because you don't own a blazer don't mean squat here. I remember that old red burb that Doug had, I run a frist gen "what's left" of a blazer. We geneally get together quite a bit when the weather good, just keep your nose posted to this board and you will know of everything that us blazer guys are generally doing.

Welcome aboard.

therobzilla

4. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I got to meet Nick last night, very nice guy, and maby one day we could all wheel together..but that would require my blazer being done..well one day /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. mosesburb

Hey Mark, The store is at 17007 N 26th st. That is a fuzz north of Bell Rd on 26th st. Live near 37th ave and Thunderbird. Sounds like a fun project you have going on there. At least your motor will fit in your engine bay /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif!! I get to stretch mine a bit to make room for the fan and clutch. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Have fun, Nick

6. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

I still need a job, ya hiring? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

seriously... they put up with me, & I drive a Ford, so I guess having a Suburban won't get ya too much crap around here....

Welcome aboard....

Matt

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

welcome to the site man.
    i come up there now and then, but currently do not have a running blazer....
    let me rephrase that, i have not had a running blazer in 2 years... going on 6 years maybe, i dunno.

anywho, i am a Marine and i am stationed down in yuma. so if you ever come out this way shoot me a line.
    Grant

8. Haulgas

Haulgas 1/2 ton status

Hi nick Thanks for the help and if i get a new toy I'll be sure to use you for parts

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Welcome... Looking forward to seeing the Cummins project.

I also understand about your wiring collection, I have one too, though I don't have nice new rolls of high quality wire, I have a large roll of black and some small rolls of other colors. On my POS, I started by replacing the 12V24V M1008 CUCV wiring with a grafted in civilian '89 Sub TBI harness. When I say grafted in, I don't mean cut-n-splice, I disassemble the connectors and you can't even tell it's modified, sounds like what you do too. Recently, I went through and eliminated (most of) the wires that were unused, rerouted/relocated several things (like the ALDL is now next to the ECM), wires that once operated black-out lights now are my fuel pump and fuel gauge for the K5 tank I mounted in back. I also stubbed off some now unused fuse circuits to a junction block. From there, I pick up power for other sub harnesses. For instance, the CB picks up power from the radio fuse off the junction block. There are also some leads that go from the junction block, through the bulkhead connector, to another junction block on the fire wall. I'll use one of these for rock lights that are on my shelf. If I need fused power under the hood, just a jumper on the junction block is all that's required.

As for Matt/NoRulz, yeah, if we can put up with him, we can put up with most anyone... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif And the really, REALLY bad part is that he has this glaring orange Ford that can go places most of us can't... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

hahaha... I feel the love

11. mosesburb

Hey Matt- Unfortunately we are not hiring now, but if you want to PM me your specialties I can let you know if I hear of anything. Thanks for the welcome post. Nick
    P.S. I won't hold the Ferd thing against you either /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. mosesburb

Howdy Grant- I think I've heard Dug speak of your parts stash before. If I remember correctly, he scored his 8-lug external hub conversion, and is acquiring an early tub from you in trade for one of his backyard fleet. I don't get to Yuma very often, but if I do I'll definitely look you up. Thanks for the welcome post, and thanks for being a Marine /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif Take care, Nick

13. mosesburb

Hey Brian, It was nice meeting you. I wish I would have had a bit more time to BS with you while you were in, but I'm sure there will be some other time for that. Thanks for stopping in. Nick

14. mosesburb

Hey Russ, Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing the Cummins project too /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. Sounds like a nice project you have going on there. I too like having non-O.E. circuits fused in the fuseblock as what they are (ie your CB fused as radio) instead of the hack-and-butch method of 10 different inline fuses located throughout the vehicle. Fusing all circuits in the fuseblock is not always a possibility, but it sure is nice when possible, just like instead of hacking holes in the firewall to pass auxilliary leads through, to run them through extra holes in the junction block. Well have fun with your project there (I can appreciate the ridiculous amount of time it takes to do it right) and let me know if I can be of any assistance. Thanks for the post /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Nick