Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New handgun suggestions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, May 16, 2006.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I am looking for a new handgun for multiple reasons, I currently have a Taurus PT-92 9MM, (and Colt SAA but that's a whole different ballgame) here is some of my reasoning:

The PT-92 is too large to comfortably carry, much less conceal

The 9MM is underpowered for a concealed carry/home defense weapon

Ditto for any large animals I may encounter

No accessory rails for lights etc.

I haven't bought a pistol forever

I just want another damn pistol

I am looking for input on brand and caliber, so far I am leaning toward this:

[​IMG]

Springfield XD Sub-Compact in .40 cal., runs $429 NIB with case, holster, mag. holder, lock, and various other access.

So, any thoughts? I've never owned a double action pistol (although this one isn't strictly a double, but close), nor one that small. Also, no experience with the .40 S&W either, so any advice appreciated.

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

thats a nice gun
    Im partial to .45 kimbers...
    ultra stainless pro carry.. nice and small.. but can accept full size mags (they stick out)...
    super accurate and reliable right out of the box.. spendy... 600

3. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

I have that exact SA Sub-Compact in 9mm. I love it. I shot one in .40, but it was too snappy for my taste. If you go with the Sub-Compact, I recommend the Pearce grip extension. They're super easy to put on and they fit your hands perfectly. Here's a pic of mine with the extensions on both mags.

[​IMG]

http://www.pearcegrip.com/pr15.htm

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

No one considers wheelguns as a carry gun on here, wonder why? I have a Ruger sp101 .357 with a Hogue Monogrip, super nice firearm. Easily concealed as well, and quite accurate for a 2" bbl. If I were ever 'allowed' to carry in CA, this is what it'd be. Reloading is pretty quick, even if you go one at a time, no speedloader, even faster with a speedloader. U have put about 2500 rounds through mine, about half and half .38 spc and .357 Mag. I still love it, great little gun, has NEVER malfunctioned, fits my hand nicely with the monogrip,and it's relatively lightweight. Recoil, even with .357 Mag. ammo is more than manageable. Overall, a really nice pistol for concealed carry use.

5. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

x2.

Or my buddy just got a Glock 23 (.40cal) that he REALLY likes. I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet, but the size is just about perfect (not big, but not tiny) and if it shoots anything like the other Glocks I've shot, it'll be badass.

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Actually I went and looked at a Kimber Ultra Carry after work today, very nice gun, reeeaally nice trigger on that.

As far as thos Pearce extensions go, I have a friend with a Glock with those, works great (I can't stand having my pinky hangin off the grip), Springfield also makes an extended mag for the XD that makes the grip full sized and holds a few extra rounds too.

Mofugly: I like wheel guns, I was looking at a Taurus .357 too (I know, most people badmouth the Taurus' but I've had great luck with mine) I just want something that's gonna accept an accessory light, plus I love the extra capacity of the autoloaders.

The Glocks are great guns too, just don't feel right in my hand for some reason.

That Kimber sure did feel good though, the Tactical Ultra Carry was probably one of the most perfect "feeling" guns I've held, but that was up to $950 and I'll have to wait forever for my AR-15 if I do that.

Anyone have any thoughts on the .40 vs. 9mm vs .45???????????? The guy at the shop was telling me that a hot 9mm was right up there with the .40 and .45 and that there are no "hot" .40 loads at all. I've just shot 9mm forever and figure it's time for a change.

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This is exactly what I carry with my CCW. Many gun shops recommend the Ruger SP 101 .357 Mag for CCW use. I use 158 Gr hollow pionts in mine. Hollow pionts are a good ammo for CCW because they will not over penatrate, and hit something you did not intend to hit.

And by the way, I installed that smog pump and bracket you sent me on my 1985 K30, and was able to pass smog yesterday. Thanks.

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  8. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

Go 1911 all the way!

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Not exactly a small gun but it suits you. :D

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  10. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I like the .45ACP. I may be prejudiced, but I carried one for years, and it never let me down. How bout one of the Para Ordnance 1911 style guns? They make compact ones, with a double stack mag. The ? is whether your hands can handle the fat grip.
    I believe that select Special Forces and Seals are back to carrying the .45. I have too many stories of 9mm not getting the job done, plus over penetration issues. There are +P loads for the .40. Check CorBon for one. If you really want to get gnarly, the 10mm is still being made, and it is a hot round.

11. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Ruger P345, smaller than a 4" 1911, check it out.

12. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I like the para-ord's, just can't find anyone who carries them in town, and I can't buy a gun without holding it.

RJ: tried to look at the Ruger too, guy at the big gun shop here said that Ruger was behind on production and delivery and they had none in stock.

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

:D Doesn't really matter what you get as long as you wave it around while you mow the lawn...

14. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Eh, I got my pecker for that.

15. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but its only good for 1 shot every 24 hours!:haha: :haha: :haha:

16. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Yep, and it's a "shoot first, ask questions later" type of weapon too.

17. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

the XD kicks major ass
    i love mine, i have the 4" .40, shoots like a dream, the trigger is real light for a "DA" great gun, you will be happy with it

18. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Why do you have to stick your nose into every post with your stupidity? Your a pest. :rolleyes:

19. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeah Joe why would you say such a thing...?

20. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

if you want to stir sh*t around here, you need to get a bigger spoon.

and at least fumes' post was funny.