Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new header questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue Meanie, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Registered Member

i need to buy some new headers but do not know what kind i have on there now. my question is, are all long style headers the same length and do they all go down the same distance? the reason for this is, i have good exhaust and i don't want to change that out to make up for different lenghts. also, does ceramicoat make a big difference and how does it hold up to baked on mud?? any help would be great.

2. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Registered Member

someone has got to know the answer to this. has anyone ever switched to a different brand header and had problems???, or did everything line up??

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Since no ones answering, I'm just gonna up and guess that no pair of headers from two companies are going to be the same. Seeing what car guys go through (brand X fits with no problem, brand y hits here, and brand z hits in a different spot) I have to say that since the companies come up with what they think works, with no industry standards that I know of, there is bound to be a lot of variation.

As to the baked on coatings, I'd go for anything that has a lifetime warranty, from a well known company. IMO Stainless headers would be awesome, but $$$. Then again, pretty much could forget about having to replace them ever again.

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

No, they aren't all the same..... Edelbrock TES are different.... shorties don't act the same usually either..... if you are looking for something that is full sized I am assuming you probably have something like Hookers or Afterburners by Flowtech..... best bet is to go to a exhaust shop and ask them what they think will fit you style wise then do some shopping for the best prices on what they recommend.... As for coatings, if you can aford it get them coated, they'll last a lot longer... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

No, they aren't all the same..... Edelbrock TES are different.... shorties don't act the same usually either..... if you are looking for something that is full sized I am assuming you probably have something like Hookers or Afterburners by Flowtech..... best bet is to go to a exhaust shop and ask them what they think will fit you style wise then do some shopping for the best prices on what they recommend.... As for coatings, if you can aford it get them coated, they'll last a lot longer... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

I just had the same problem, I said screw it and went with dynomax ceramic coated 3/4 length for 215 dollars. I love them. I went to 3/4 length because I'm running single exhaust and wanted my y pipe as close to the torque converter dust cover as possible.