Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skratch, Jan 2, 2004.

1. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I ordered my new headers today, I'm getting the Edelbrock TES units for my Burb. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I was wondering if anybody had any tips on making the swap easier and if there are any things I should keep in mind or look out for in order to avoid problems down the line.

Anybody wanna swing into Columbus and give me a hand either? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

send me a round trip plane ticket, pick me up at the airport, dont mention the word "ohio" and feed me lunch, ill do it!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

How does Hooters Airlines sound, they fly right out of my back yard! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

dont know how keen my g/f would be on that.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

well im single and from the same town as confedneck so you can have them pick me up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Seriously though its pretty easy, do you have headers oh it now?

6. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

No I have the factory manifolds on it right now, and hopefully will be seeing my new headers in the next couple days, since Summit is just a couple hours north of here.

The motor was replaced a few years ago so I'm assuming the manifold bolts won't be too terribly hard to pull. I'll be pulling the plugs first so as not to bust any, but I'm not sure about news bolts, gaskets and how to reattach any brackets for the accessories. Those are my major concerns at this point. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Unless things have changed since I bought mine, you'll need to sandblast them and put some good header paint on them. The instructions that came with mine said that the "paint" they come with is just to prevent rust during shipping. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have a TES system. been running it since 1999 It was a pretty easy bolt on.(except getting the cat off) Had to cut 1/2 " off the shift rod that goes to the auto trans because it hit the header when you shoved it into low. But thats no big deal. I never painted the headers. They still look good no rust or anything. I have never had a leak either. The crossover pipe gets a little rusty in the winter form the road salt. But I just touch it up with some stove black paint once a year.

9. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input, I'm probably gonna sand them down a bit and paint them with a good exhaust paint just to be safe.
    If I could afford to get them coated I would but that may just have to wait until I start the 383 project. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. motorhead2886

motorhead2886 Newbie

my headers rubbed on my leaf spring bolts so be careful of that

11. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I installed my bolts backwards when I lifted it so hopefully that won't be a problem /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    But thanks for the heads up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif