Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New 'Heartbeat' for Thumper! *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

New \'Heartbeat\' for Thumper! *UPDATE*

Well, its in!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    The 454 has been installed and runs awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    It is some loud tho. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my exhaust ends right after the manifolds! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Ummm I have to say one thing tho. I got some info from here that seemed good, but something got messed up. Now, I dont know if the info was wrong, or Chevy has just impressed me again, but heres the deal.
    The 454 version flywheel that I searched everywhere for, and finally ended up paying 50.00 plus 30.00 shipping to get, turned out to be EXACTLY the same as the one I took off my smallblock. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Now, I was kinda thinking that the bolt pattern on the crank would be different... maybe smaller on the smallblock, or maybe some differences in the weight/ dimensions, but there was absolutely no difference. I guess its possible I was running a 454 flywheel on my 327 all this time... the other option is that the flywheels are the same.
    What do you think?
    It beats me. Anyways, for your info... it seems to me that a 454 flywheel and a 350 flywheel are interchangeable.
    I know one thing.... I am seriously happy! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Later!
    Mike

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: New \'Heartbeat\' for Thumper!

A 454 is externally balanced and a 350 is internally balanced. Whether you can bolt one flywheel to the other engine is unimportant. You WILL have problems if you have a neutral balance flywheel on a 454.

I certainly hope for your sake that you recieved the correct flywheel.

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Ya... I understand that. But, what is the visual difference between the two?
    These two are identical. If someone has a pic of one or the other, I would like to see it.
    If it happened to be a 350 flywheel, what would the indication be if I run it on a 454? Would I feel a vibration?

Mike

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The 454 flywheel is definately different,it has a counterweight cast into it,the bolt pattern is the same,thats it.It says in the book I have if you use the wrong one,the engine will shake itself off the motor mounts,so yes,I would say that would make a vibration!.Are you absolutely sure its a 454(check casting numbers etc??)because all the other big blocks are internally balanced(366,396,402,427)and they can use the small block flywheel.A 454 will have a half circle counterweight cast into the harmonic balancer(on the inside,facing the timing cover)and one cast into the flywheel on the inside facing the engine. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

thabt a grat run it t the groounf 5 are awsoe they are good ebven stok udt dont rev ert to high bnig blockd dont like t very much gofight

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    thabt a grat run it t the groounf 5 are awsoe they are good ebven stok udt dont rev ert to high bnig blockd dont like t very much gofight

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, I have no idea what you just said! Hehehe.
    I didnt write the cast numbers down... I should have, but Im sure I can get them off the block. I cant see the inside of the balancer... I didnt even have to touch this motor at all... never even took the alternator off! I think my first priority is to get the cast number off it and confirm its a 454. It does run great tho... idles way smooth, so I dunno. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Maybe its a newer version? Someone said the new ones are internal balanced? I know it was installed 'new' about 7 yrs ago.
    The guy told me he has owned the truck for 7 yrs. Its been parked for the last 3. 4 months before he bought it, they had put in a new 454 worth $4000.00. Now I dont know if it was a new from a box motor, or a newly rebuilt motor, and I dont think he knows either. Hed just said they put in this new $4000.00 motor 4 months before he bought it. The tranny packed in 4 yrs later, and he parked it. Beats me.
    Anyways, I will try to get the numbers off it.
    I guess if my old 327 had a 454 flywheel on it, it would vibrate too? Neither engine had (or has) any vibe issues at all........
    Thanks
    Mike

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Heres the update:

I got the cast numbers... its a 1006926 block... according to Mortec, its a 90-91 4 bolt Mark IV short deck 454.
    I saw when I was searching for a flywheel that the part numbers change when you hit 90-91. I assume that this means that the motor is internally balanced? And that my flywheel will work ok?
    I guess the guy that sent me the 454 flywheel, was wrong, sent me the wrong one, but luckily it was for the right motor. Now I gotta give him a call! Im glad I didnt pay much more than what I did!

Anyways, thanks for the input. If anyone knows about the 90-91 454s, and can let me know that this flywheel wont cause any headaches later on, Id appreciate it!

Mike

9. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

454=/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Marv

10. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

what part number is the flywheel you ordered?

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I was referring to the pre-1986 454 motors--anything newer than that is too new for me!In fact--I've only seen one newer than that,installed in the truck--I know they changed a lot of things on the newer ones,maybe they did finally balance them internally after that. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"that's great run it in the ground... 5 are awesome they are good even stock but don't rev her too high big blocks don't like it very much dogfight. " /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I'm am going out on a limb here and judging by the time this reply was made there was a significant amount of alcohol involved. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

13. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"that's great run it in the ground... 5 are awesome they are good even stock but don't rev her too high big blocks don't like it very much dogfight. " /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I'm am going out on a limb here and judging by the time this reply was made there was a significant amount of alcohol involved. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif