Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New heated O2 sensor smoking?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by randy88k5, Sep 10, 2006.

1. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I installed a 3 wire oxygen sensor in place of the old single wire sensor. I also have a AutoMeter air/fuel ratio gauge installed. When I tested everyting out for the first time today, saw most things were working, some not, now its troubleshooting time.

First off I noticed the air/fuel gauge not working. I was going to check the wires later. I was checking the operation of other thiongs when my friend noticed the gauge started reading for a few seconds then cut back off. Another friend saw smoke comming from the o2 sensor. I immediately shut it off and jumped underneath, expecting to see burnt wires, but I didnt see anything out of the ordinary. I have never seen smoke from a sensor before.

I got a brand new ACDelco sensor with an ACDelco replacement connector. The purple wire originally on the car was spliced to the A/F gauge and the respectine wire of the connector. One of the other wires of the connector is to 12v, the other to ground. I have the 12v coming from a 3 amp fused ignition source. The o2 sensor is tight in the exhaust bung. I used anti-sieze on the threads, and the sensor is free of any oil or debris.

Is this correct?
    Anyone else seen this before?

2. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

It sounds like you have it set up correctly. The smoke could be from some of the anti-seize grease burning off.

3. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Hijack

Can I get a part number or location to get the connector?

Hijack over

I agree with op that it could be the anti-seize, or some residual stuff from manufacturing.

4. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

If Im looking at the correct reciept, the GM part number is 12126012. Ill post the ACDelco part number when I find the package. I paid around $25 dollars for it.

It looks to be the standard 3 pin connector, like for TPS and such. All three wires are gray, so I assume it fits multiple applications.