Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new here and need info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by redk-5, Oct 26, 2006.

1. redk-5

redk-5 Registered Member

well im new here and along with that im new into wheelin, i got an '86 k5 thats red on top and black under it with a black cap. its got the 305 with a wien intake manifold, holly 650 streetavenger carb, hooker comp series headers, exhaust infront of rear wheels, 6" rough country lift, 15" mickey thompson (or very good look a likes) with 33" m/ts.
    so i know a little about my truck ive been into old cars so i know basic engine componints and what not but things with truck not soo much, i do know tho its got the 10 bolt in front and 12 in the rear, but my buddys got access to some danas im thinkin ill put the D44 in the front and a 14 bolt in the rear possably do a 1" body lift and throw 38" superswampers on it or just cut the fenders. i want to make my truck better but money is tight cause i took out a loan for this truck i got it for 2800 and i have 7 months to pay it off as of right now. if things go the way they should im goin in the marines, as of now my ship date for boot is june 5 im 18 still in school work a part time job gettin about $10/hr so my money goes to my truck, insurance, gas, payment, extras and possably some traffic fines but im going to court in probably december so we'll find out what happens. so thats me just want some general info and guide lines about k5s/trucks/wheelin.
    also my car before this was a 95 honda wich im sellin to pay for the truck and what not, any help helps

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  2. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Not to be a dick, but the first two things to do are......

1. Paragraphs and sentence structure.
    2. Pay the man and become a member.

Oh and welcome to the site.

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

:haha: :haha: :haha: Holy run-on sentence batman! Seriously though, spend the $ on a membership. You will learn more than you ever need to know being able to search. It's the best 25 bucks I ever spent on my blazer. Congrats on the new truck! Sounds nice man!

4. redk-5

redk-5 Registered Member

sorry about the paragraphs but thats the way i am online, and i would pay but i cant be spending extra money that i dont have to, i know its only like $20 but every penny counts

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

well i would help but please first edit post and add paragraphs please.

6. redk-5

redk-5 Registered Member

alright i changed it, hope its better now.

7. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I still have no idea what the point of that 1st sentagraph was...why don't we pretend it's been moved to the introductions and greetings thread and you try again with a more composed, organized question. I'll see if I can help.

8. redk-5

redk-5 Registered Member

the reason was just to tell you guys what i have, who i am, and what i have to work with. im just asking for some basic info about wheelin any tips anything that can help, also what should i do with my truck. im on a budget, i want new tires but i also have to fix the body.
    thats the situation right now. now if my car gets sold i wont have a problem, i can pay the truck off get my tires and fix the body.
    does any body know what the options for the gears were in the k5s? its an auto but i dont knw what kind of gears the rear end has, cause i have absolutly no bottom end.

9. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

i aint gonna give ya a hard time.

I ran my 38's on stock 10bolt axles. It worked, but with stock gears, i blew up the tranny.

if the dana44 is 6lug, id just keep the 10bolt you got, theres no difference between the 2.

if you go with a 14b, and its an 8 lugger, your going to need new rims also...

I WOULD NOT run 38's without changing the gears in the axles. may cost alot to do so, but its ALOT cheaper than rebuilding tranny's multiple times(ask me how i know) Stock k5's have 3.08 gears.

Any questions, just ask.

10. koldsimer

You probably have 3.08's or some other high gearing. Keep in mind that with that gearing, you will be killing 350 trannys left and right with 38's. Re-gearing is something that is an excellent mod but fairly pricey. If I were you, I would start wheeling with what you have and see what breaks. Go over the entire truck and check everything. Check the frame where the steering box bolts to it- this is a notorious weak spot for chevys. Maybe look into getting a bolt on or weld on brace for the frame there if it is already cracked- fairly cheap mod. Check your motor mounts and tranny mounts. Buy a grease gun and a couple of tubes of grease and go over every u-joint in the truck. Change all the fluids. Just some general recomendations for you.

11. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

he will have a 700r4 unless its been swapped out like mine was.

12. koldsimer

Yessir. I know very little. :D

13. redk-5

redk-5 Registered Member

yeah thanks guys. i talked to my buddy and he can get me a D44 and a 14 bolt for $200, and my other buddy thats helping me out with my truck build, can get me some gears for the front and back for $300. ill ask him about the 10b and the d44 diffrences and what not. if all else fails ill look in to gettin a d60 if at all possable. i changed the fluids im getting wires, plugs, a filter, and possably an msd distributer cause the accel sucks. thanks again, if you guys ahve any tips about wheelin, anything to do or not to do, just let me know. also just to say it, some guys paid me $20 for me to pull them out of some mud/water (it was a stock 05 durango) just drivin down the road and some ram pulls up and asks me to get their friend out of some sh!t, anyway im proud of that. im gonna get a tape measure out tomorrown and just see how the 37-38" TSLs will look (size wise) on my truck. again thanks for the info, everything helps.

oh and im getting a kit that will re-enforce the frame behind the steering box, and yeah im gonna get some grease and clean off the drive train and grease that up

14. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, there's your membership money! :haha:

A 44 for 10 bolt swap is useless, unless it's part of an 8 lug 3/4 ton swap... Usually 4:10's, hella more tranny friendly with 38's... 38's on balljoints is questionable imho, but.....

You will crack the frame running 38's, do the frame bracing.. Put a cooler on your tranny too...

And prepare for a rough ride with that kit.. Might wanna do a suspension change if you swap axles... Maybe do a shackle flip out back and some more articulation all-around...

15. redk-5

redk-5 Registered Member

well i havent seen the axles yet, but from what i was told the d44 is stronger then the 10 bolt but i dont know, how will the frame crack with 38s compared to anything else? what kind of bracing is needed, like where and how. thanks

16. koldsimer

theres a couple of 10-bolt threads going that will explain the differences in the 10 and 44.

17. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard. With what you are planning on spending, start with the membership. You'll learn tons. You'll recover that membership cost 10 fold by not making mistakes and asking how to correct them.

After you pay, search for the 10 bolt d44 comparisons. Like Citizen Rider said, unless its to change from 6 bolt lug wheel to 8, it's a waste of time just to put a d44 in.

This board is full of VERY knowledgeable folks. There are a few others that are just asshats. You will quickly see who's who.

Many new guys ask what to do first. The first thing to do is make the truck street and trail safe. Like what was said, go through it and see what you have. My truck was a fire hazard waiting to burn when I picked it up. I had to redo some electrical to make it safe. Have fun.

just my $.02

18. deadtoyou

deadtoyou Registered Member

not to be a dick? not everyone WANTS to or even NEEDS to pay become a member. We're not ALL losers.... As for sentence structure...come on man it's the ****ing internet....Sorry but sometimes you know it all assholes piss me off....

19. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well apparently you NEED this place, after perusing your previous posts, it seems you have had quite a few questions answered for you with no help given in return... I'll have to remember to never help you out...

Oh, and for the record, nice excuse about proper grammar.. You may enjoy deciphering run-on sentences, etc from 8th grade dropouts, but I'd rather read posts from people who respect you enough to try and make their posts legible..

20. deadtoyou

deadtoyou Registered Member

Yesir I greatly NEED this place. As you can see from my previous questions.... As you could also see, I don't ask anything anymore simply because this has become more of a fundraiser more than a help forum. There was a time where I did ask questions but anymore all you guys do is criticize guys for either not paying or being unintelligible about a chevy. Oh and yah, get over it, it's the INTER****INGNET, not everyone types or should I say writes as well as you.