Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New here. Help me evaluate my plan guys!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beerbudget, Aug 14, 2004.

1. beerbudget

beerbudget Newbie

Hey guys. I've been browsing for a couple months now and decided to join. I have an 85 Jimmy w/ factory 350/700/208 w/ 3:08's. This is my second K5 so I learned a lot of things (and things not to do) w/ my first one I had.

One of the first things I'm gonna do is swap in a set of "3/4 tons" that my friend has no use for so I can have them for free. They already have 4:10's loaded in them but they are open diff. I can't complain, they are free /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. What's a way of IDing these things positively? Also, what's involved w/ swapping this into my K5 (brakes, steeing, ball joints, tie rods, etc.)

Also, I want to have just a 4" lift to clear 33's. This truck is very nice and mostly rust free, so I don't want to hack sheetmetal at all. This truck is mostly going to be street use w/ a little off-roading. My girlfriend likes to drive it and for hardcore wheeling (moslty mud around here) I'm looking at a 2500 Burban for that. So what lift should I go with? Against what most people do, I would actually be looking for a suspension that's not that flexible do to street handling. Would shackle flips be practical?

I want to build a big block w/ a TH-400 (I'm not messin w/ trying to build the 700 for the horsepower that I want). Where is a good place to find BBC parts at a decent price. I know Summit and Jegs by heart but was wondering if there are places you guys have dealt w/ that are cheaper. I am possibly looking at stroker kits as well. My one friend loves building engines and is going to build it for me. So I would be looking more for kits rather than short blocks. I've done head and cam swaps, but never built an engine.

I would also in the near future be looking for a basket roof rack if somebody is looking to get rid of one.
    Also, as you can tell by my name, I will be doing these on a budget. Anything would be of help. I am passionate about these trucks and I got this because I regretted every day after I sold my other one (although that one is in good hands; it now has about 15" of lift on 42" TSL's w/ LOTS of room (too much).

Many thanks in advance guys!!!

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

As far as the axles go, just go threw them. New bearings, ball joints, brakes, axleshaft ujoints, fluids, etc. Just normal maintanence on them. The front axle is a direct bolt in. The rear should bolt in too but you will need a special ujoint for the rear driveshaft to get it to adapt to a 14bff axle (assuming that is the one you are getting). Napa #447 is the joint you should need. Shave the rear axle before you put it in. It will act like a land anchor if you don't.

Also do the normal maintanice stuff on the driveshafts. New joints if they are loose, grease if they are tight.

Harley

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

4" lift, 33" tires, mostly street driving? then shaving would be an unnecessary waste of time.

first you need to id your axles. your front will either be a dana 44 or a 10 bolt. they are pretty much interchangeable as far as swapping into a truck, but lockers/lsd's arent as numerous as for the d44. the 10 bolt will have 2 little "ears" sticking off the bottom of the diff, which makes it easy to ID.

as for the rear axle, you could have one of 3. if it has a round diff and a dropout third member like a ford 9, then it is an eaton H052 axle. If it has 10 bolts holding the cover on (and the fill plug is on the diff cover), then it is a dana 60. if it has 14 bolts holding the diff cover on and has the fill plug on the side of the axle, then it is a 14 bolt.

good luck /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeap, the axles are pretty much a bolt in except for the the conversion u-joint already mentioned. I say the Shackle flip is a much better choice the blocks for the rear. I'd still recomend front springs like BDS or Tuff Country for the ride quality.

5. beerbudget

beerbudget Newbie

Oh I definatly don't plan on using blocks, I'm going w/ springs. I was just wondering if getting a lift w/ all four springs or just the fronts and using a shackle flip in back would be better; basically, what is best? I have the access to the axles, I will shave the bottom of it. It not going to be exclussivly a street ride, I just don't want to go through the trails that I would with my old K5, like trails wide enough for atv's with out scratching on branches /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

What about any good places for engine kits?

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Street driving and mild trails , not really towing much , I'd go for the shackle flip if your rear springs are in good shape . It feels fine driving mine flipped , can't tell anything is out of the ordinary . I drove home yesterday with a front axle , my trailbox , spare shafts , 5 rims and two tires in mine , and it felt good .

You could take the money you save in the rear springs and put it towards a rear locker . Which is by far the best thing for any truck . Keeps you moving forward with less throttle than an open diff

As for not scratching , I wouldn't worry about it , most scratches buff out on wash and wax day /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif