Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New here... some help/suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by caseyk, Dec 3, 2005.

1. caseyk

caseyk Registered Member

Hi all. I recently moved and had to sell my chevelle but I kept the 400tq 406sbc engine and 2004R tranny. Since I moved to a more rural part of california to help with my father's farms, we both agreed that a 4x4 truck would be a good transplant patient. A truck would be a great help on the farms, and the 4x part would be fun ;)

I was looking at '76 and earlier 4x blazers (so I don't have to smog it) and wanted some suggestions on what I should do.

As most of you know, the 2004R transmission is a problem because the tail-shaft isn't removable. From what I've read, I could always use a divorced transfer case, but that is a PITA and is another weak link in the drivetrain... especially since I'm looking for a blazer. And it's quite unfortunate since it's a BTO level 2 2004R with less than 500 miles on it (anyone looking to buy?).

Now, would another 4x be easier to adapt a divorced t-case (like a c/k 10/20) or is this a pipe dream? And where would be a good place to get a strong 4x th350 just in case? And can anyone give me some rough price estimates on setting up a divorced t-case and a good th350?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot, but I'm new to the 4x world and any and all help is appreciated.

TIA,
    Case

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A 4x4 would eat that tranny for lunch, built 700R-4's have enough trouble surviving...

Rene

3. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't use it. In a 4x4 U not only have the power/TQ of the engine for it to deal with, but on the other end U have big/heavy tires and lots of shock loads for it to deal with as well. I don't think it would stand a chance. If U want an auto I would go with a built TH350 or TH400, if U want to go with a man. I would use an SM465 or NV4500.

4. caseyk

caseyk Registered Member

Thanks guys... thanks for nothing! j/k :p: So where would be a good place to get a th350 that can handle it? And how much $$$ am I looking at?

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Whichever K5 you end up buying will most likely have a TH350 already, or possibly an SM 465 with the 205. Drop your motor in and call it good.

No need to reinvent the wheel with this IMO.

Rene

6. caseyk

caseyk Registered Member

I saw that when I was searching through some papers. But will a stock TH350 hold up to 400 lb-ft? I know it wouldn't in a street rod...

Know of anyone in So Cal that rebuilds 350s for hi-perf?