Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new house or vac property

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigjbear, Apr 6, 2007.

?

new house or vac prop

1. keep this house and buy mtn land

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. buy new house closer to work

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'm sitting naked reading the MLS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

So, I'm at the point where in the next couple of years I will have more money to spend on housing. Basically, my two choices are stay in this house with its low payments and buy a some vacation land in the N. GA/ W. NC/ E. TN area and put a camper/trailer on it now, then build a get away in eight years when this house is payed off. OR, buy a bigger house closer to work now, and just rent a cabin when I want to get away with my wife.

Pros on buying a mountain place- Its mine, no one being a drunk-ass in the tent next to me. I can leave things there instead of dragging everything back up every time I go.

Cons- MORE taxes, upkeep, getting permits, finding land that is not destined to become a subdivision or golf course.

Pros on a bigger house in town- shorter commute means more time with the family, more room for my stuff, nicer house.

Cons- losing the great neighbors here, covenants, probably a smaller yard.

I like this neighborhood and the school here, but it is a "starter house" no way around that. The real problem is suburbia has moved in around me. When I bought this place it was fairly rural and a quick drive to town, even Atlanta wasn't too far away. With the population growth in the area over the past few years it has become a nightmare to get anywhere. Tons of new subdivisions, every chain restaurant you can imagine, and of course, more Wal-Marts. Added to that, both my wife and my jobs are now in Atlanta not Marietta.

We have been looking at houses for the past six months (not seriously, but enough to know what area we will buy in if we move closer to the city) and thought we had a plan, now we both have started dreaming about vac prop again:doah:

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

No advice form our real estate guys?

Right now I think staying here is my best bet, but everytime I spend money I tthink more about a new place.

3. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd go for the getaway....if you can get it cheaply enough that you don't feel like every day off you have to go there to justify buying it.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

2 Are worth more than 1. If you can afford to buy the land and make your mortgage I say go for it.

Ira

5. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Buy The vacation property, if times get tough you can always sell it. It is a wise investment, buy all the property you can afford.