Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New hubs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by burban1500, Mar 16, 2006.

1. burban1500

burban1500 Registered Member

Hey all, I just got my warn standards installed today and noticed that their is a slight bit of play if i grab the hub and wiggle it up and down. Its just a slight movement but i was curious if anyone else has the same thing and if this is normal. Im pretty sure their in right, i removed the c-clips and washers also.
    Thanks-

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

did you install the outer rubber gasket?

3. burban1500

yes-if its the o-ring that goes on the dial part of the hub.they were pretty cheesy and small looking. The hub moves more so in and out slightly as opposed to up and down.

4. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

Not normal, no play should exist. R n R but make sure the outer snap ring (wheel hub) is in there and the inner external snap ring (for the stubshaft) is in there also. good luck

5. burban1500

yes the outer one(the one thats a b***H to take out) is in and so is the the snap ring that goes on at the end of the stub shaft. Im stumped, Im not supposed to use the old seal from the automatics am I?

6. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

Have you tried the other side yet. The hub could be bad on that one side (but i doubt it) . If everything is installed correctly and it still has the play, i would rtv the outer edge of the dial part where the o-ring is and then wait for it to almost dry (tacky) then install. Even with a little play it shouldnt break because of the play. Id run it. BTW if the old seal from the auto's makes a tighter fit id reuse it.

7. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

Believe it or not, some axle stubs have the groove for the snap ring in different locations. I had to cut a new groove in both of the stubs on my '84 to make things fit snug. My Dad's '88 Sub had two sets of grooves; one that worked for the auto hubs and the other worked for the Warn's. The location on my K5 created play on the backside of the knuckle because the flange wouldn't seat against the inner spindle seal. I didn't assemble the hub any further from that point so I don't know if it would also cause play in the hub itself, but it might be worth looking at.

8. burban1500

Both sides have the same amount of play. Im just gunna rtv them and run em. They seem to be working fine so well see what happens. Thanks for the replys.

9. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

This is normal to me. Both my truck and my dads truck have a little of play when you grab the hub and wiggle it. I've never had a problem related to that little bit of play. I would just run it, rtv it if you think it'll see a lot of water but when I put mine in I didn't bother with the RTV. It wouldn't matter for me cause the seal and that needle bearing on the backside of the knuckle are both shot.