Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New idea...... Axle ventilation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Dec 13, 2000.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok, is the diff vent hose there to let air in or let pressure out? If it just lets pressure out, maybe concockting a check valve or restrictor valve that will allow pressure out, but let nothing in. The only thing I can think of is the amount of vacum this may cause inside the pumpkin. But is there was away to make this work, it might save some money in the long, keeping crap from getting into leaking hoses or broken hoses.
    Anyway its just an idea. It sounds good in theory, at least to me.

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It does both. It's there to equalize the pressure in the axle with the pressure outside the axle. If pressure builds up inside the axle (as the axle warms up), it will force lube out past the axle seals. If vacuum builds inside the axle (as the axle cools off) it will suck in dirt and crud from outside the axle. When you dunk it in a cold stream, lake or river, it cools off very quickly, which would suck in water past the seals. [​IMG]

The best thing to do is run hoses from the vent tubes up under the hood, as high as possible.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have as yet to have a problem with a hose on it. I run some stout Fuel line. In the rear you can thread it up by the filler neck and get it way up in the fender. the front should already be about headlight high on the core suport. For the tranny and case I have extended the vents up the fire wall and zip tied them to the Brake booster mount. I use a couple fuel filters as vents to keep dust out.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

The problem with not letting it inhale (when the pumpkin is hot and you hit water) is the seals on the axle tubes may give way and let that crude you thought you had all cleaned out when you changed the ball joints into the pumpkin area (the chamfer on the seal will allow this to happen). Someone posted on here on time about using a valve cover breather at the end of the hose in lieu of those plastic thingys that GM used. I'm exploring that with the front diff, tranny and x-fer case vent and the rear diff vent on my K5.
    Good idea about running the rear diff vent to the gas cap area. I was looking at running all the way along the bottom then up to the firewall.

5. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I have my vent hose ran up into the gas filler area with a cheap fuel filter clamped to the end of it flow direction pointing toward from the axle to filter all the air that it breathes adn at least I know if it gets any water in there it'll be clean[​IMG]
    OK, I'll go away now
    Jeesh
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>