Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New idea for 56" spring front driveshaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Apr 22, 2005.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'm doing 56" front springs in my project trail bitch and the one major problem I've seen people having is the front driveshaft. Micah and a couple others from Austin are the ones that come to mind. Now, I was brainstorming this and came up with a brilliant idea, the dual CV rear shaft from a Cadillac. I'm prety sure its only a 1310 but for the price of a boneyard shaft, I think its a fairly cheap sounding choice. Here's my ultimate plan for a front driveshaft on a 56" equiped rig with ~12" droop.

Cadillac CV's at each end. I dont know their range of motion but logically, it has to be better than a plain 1310 u-joint. I've also seen on the boards that someone suggested using the splined portion of the intermediate rear driveshaft from a 2 piece shaft. I am going to try this because, I have several of these shaft lying around. I'd like to avoid square tube but may do it eventually if all else fails. So, Caddy CV's at both ends with the splined portion and yoke from a 2 piece rear shaft. Finding tubing and fabricating all this wont be a problem for me, I have the facilities. The only problem I can forsee is the yoke on the 2 piece driveshaft is a 1350, but the CV is a 1310. I figure I can either resolve this by running a combo u-joint (less desireable) or maybe finding a 2 piece rear shaft in a half ton longbed 2wd (more desireable- I have one of these as a parts truck so we'll see what it has).

If you see any problems with my logic or have any ideas, lets hear em.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Wont work I'm told...

I thought of the ame thing after looking at the driveshaft that came with the 500 caddy motor and TH400 I got--but when I posted my idea here,I was told the Caddy CV joints dont have the "centering ball" thingy in between the U-joints! :confused: --I looked a the shaft again--it APPEARS to have some sort of ball and socket joint in between,on my 76 caddy coupe deville one at least....I wonder if they were wrong?? :what: :dunno: :1zhelp:

3. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

They have a centering ball. Less range of angle than a non-cv though.... Got one laying in my driveway. Don't think it'll work for you.

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yep they have a centering ball, my rear shaft is a caddy.
    Micah and all of the Austin guys are still running the stock front driveshaft, since the axle is pushed forward 2" it helps out alot, also Micah had a stock t-case in the stock location so the front shaft hung down pretty low so he got away with it. Another Austin guy (Nonesuch on here) has a atlas t-case that is clocked for a flat belly and he has had to go to a 42* CV driveshaft from HAD and it seems like it is working so far for him. I have thought about some how taking 2 stock CV ends and putting them together to make a 4 u-joint CV, not sure if it would work though.