Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New ignition system for my stock 5.7 TBI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Itali83, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if an ignition system like MSD or anyone like that would be worth my money. Here's the specs on my truck. Stock 5.7 TBI Edelbrock TES headers, high flow cat, 3"in and out, then along to 3" flowmaster single mandrel bent exhaust, Dual snorkle intake with K/N filter. Will an ignition system help me with low end grunt, I don't really need any more high end horse power, I want to feel it more when I drive around town and get on it from a stop light.
    Thanks for any input.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

2. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

from what i have heard the gm hei is one of the better ignition systems, going to an msd system might help you if you regularly run over 5000 rpm, but in a 4x4 for low end power why would you? i'd say just make sure everything is in working order.

3. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

After I posted this, I talked to some friends and they said the same thing. My truck rarely sees anything around 5 grand, except the few times I take it to the strip for fun. So I guess I'll just save my money for something else that'll help me out in the low end department.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    p.s. thanks for your advice!

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Dont change out the whole Ign system.Just change out the module in the distributor to one of the 8 pin Dyna-Mods from:(link)performancedistributors.com/accessories
    Also add one of their "Screamin Demon" Or an MSD Blaster coil. This combo will work just as good as a MSD 6a box at half the price. It should give you a noticible increase in throttle response and low end torque. Just make sure your plug wires are in good shape.
    It works good for me

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

So Thunder, you noticed a difference off the line and over all performance? did you gaing any MPG's?? Aren't you the one that got a bunch of stuff for your TBI through turbo cityor something liek that?? Thanks for you help and the link.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

ONly thing i've heard bad about the aftermarket coils or modules is that they seem to quit working too quickly. Not that these aren't isolated cases, but factory modules and coils go for 100K/20+ years and don't fail, I don't expect anything thats supposed to be better to last less time than stock.

I'm not saying its a bad thing, the coil/module are good upgrades to the system, just seems that no one should be having new components fail. Its not REAL common, but it should be nonexistent.