Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Impact Gun!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jarheadk5, Dec 30, 2004.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I needed a new 1/2" impact gun for work, 'cause the 6.5lb CP733 my employer gave me was killing my wrist. After hearing good reviews here about the Ingersoll-Rand 2135TI and checking it out in person at Sears, I asked for it for Christmas, and Santa (OK, my mom & stepdad) delivered.
    I have 3 words to describe it:

THIS THING ROCKS!!

Today I removed two 2" long, 15/16" full-thread bolts that had red Loctite on them (they hold the front countershafts in place in a Fuller Roadranger transmission). With the CP gun, I would have had to get the torch to heat 'em up after failing on the first try, but the IR zipped them out like they were wrench-snug, not torqued and Loctited.
    If you need a good impact gun for serious home wrenching or professional use, look no further. It isn't a cheap tool, but the really good ones seldom are.

2. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

What's the ft/lbs rating on that model?

Is it a triple hammer system?

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Ditto! Also what do you set your PSI on your air compressor to?

4. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

1000 ft/lbs max output @ 90 psi

i have had mine since christmas 03 and will never go back. i can take anything off i want to!!!!:D :D ;)

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

At 90psi, advertised TQ range is 625 ft/lbs forward and 700 ft/lbs reverse.
    IR claims it will loosen a nut TQ'd to 1000 ft/lbs in 6 seconds of max-blast operation. I believe it!

It'a a 7-vane motor feeding a twin-hammer mechanism. Free speed is 9500rpm. Hammer case is titanium, body is composite. Weighs 4 lbs. The trigger is awesome; I can easily spin a socket slow enough to still be able to read the size off of it. A guy at work today accused me of having a "toy gun", until I ripped out those countershaft bolts I referred to earlier. Meanwhile he went looking for the torch 'cause his Snap-On gun didn't make the grade.....
    My compressor regulator at home is set around 110psi; with a die grinder running full-throttle (no load) the gauge reads a hair over 90psi. It's a 150psi, 30gal Craftsman.
    Air at work is set around 120psi or so. Three screw-type compressors, 400gal total tank capacity, 4x6' air cooler/condenser radiator, and hundreds of feet of 2" pipe supplying about 100 3/8" and 1/2" hose drops.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

any idea the cost?
    Thanks

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

$235 from Sears. No clue about the cost to you in the Great White North...:D

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The IR 2135TI is a work of art. I paid $189 delivered for mine brand new off ebay.

When I read this thread I thought they came out with a new gun. Good to know the 2135TI is still the cream of the crop.

:D

9. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I like mine but it couldn't even get the bolt that holds the damper on a Honda 2.x L to budge, had to use a breaker bar. A 3/4 impact is much better suited for bigger bolts at high torques.

10. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got a 2131AS composite body job and it's by far the best I've owned (and I've had a few!):grin:

11. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

Me too, my next gun is going to be the 2131Ti

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Huhh... My old Craftsman junker (my 1st one) was able to remove the harmonic damper bolt on my Eclipse. Silly question, but did you have the reverse button pushed all the way in? The first couple bolts I hit with my IR, I wasn't real impressed with the TQ or speed... but then I noticed I hadn't pushed the reverse button in all the way. Rectified that little problem, and the love affair began!
    I agree that a 3/4" gun is better for the big stuff, but I'd be willing to bet that most of us don't have a home compressor big enough to feed a 3/4" gun for more than a few seconds at a time. Plus it's nice to not have to drag that big bastard out for 1 or 2 bolts...

13. BlueBlazer

This particular bolt is fine thread, torqued to 160 ft lbs, and loctited from the factory, and of course I had the reverse button pushed all the way and had 120 psi to the gun. I hammered on it for about 5 minutes and nothing. Like I said, its a good gun, but it WILL NOT break loose a bolt that requires 1000 ft lbs to remove. I do love the speed it will continue to turn the bolts out with after its broken loose. It's great for ubolts, lug nuts, yoke nuts, etc., but it is no replacement for a 3/4 gun IMO.

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah there are soem balancer bolts that you just cant remove, late 80s up 3800 gm ones are impossible with an impact gun, and some others too

try your gun on an old 1 ton dually lugnuts

thats the test

also 14 bolt FF ring gear bolts

most guns wont touch them and breaker bars either

so ingersoll rand is good eh ?

hmmm..

good luck

15. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I own a Snap on and a...

IR model (the predecessor to that one) but after all these years of turning wrenches, the IR still will whup up onthat POS Snap on thing!:)

16. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I forgot what i have but my IR has done everything i've asked it to do. IIRC, it was for up to 800ft/lb- Forgot which model. Powered by my speedaire oil filled compressor with a 25 gallon tank, its done good!

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

my impact must be the baby one. It only has 400ft/LBS of torque and it hardly moved anything when I was taking stuff off my chassis...

18. BlueBlazer

Yup, works great for lugnuts and I have zipped ring gear bolts off too with no problems:thumb: However, I guarantee my 3/4 gun at work will break loose much more than my 1/2 IR at home will without being rated much higher in torque.

19. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

It depends on what 3/4 gun too.
    My 1/2" ti has more balls than a new IR aluminum bodied 3/4 gun with a 1/2" airline
    The 3/4" composite IR is one badass gun though, best 3/4 impact on the market.
    I like the IR composite line up so much I have all of them.
    I bought the 1/2" composite when it first came out couldn't use my Snap on for a trade in either LOL.
    Liked that so much I got the 3/8" and 3/4" gun.
    Then they came out with the 2135TI and I upgraded to it.
    One thing about the comosite models, do not use brakeclean to clean them off.
    At least not around the direction switches, they react funny with brakeclean and become very hard to push.

20. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Welllll, my IR removed the drive gear bolts of a Mack rear (1 1/4" head, fine thread, close to 3" long). Also worked on an Eaton DS404's ring gear bolts (nearly the same size as the Mack). These bolts are secured with Nylock nuts that are also red-Loctited. These are rears that make a 14B look like something you'd find under a stock Toyota; the DS404 ring gear is about 19" diameter, compared to the 14B at 10.5". When I see a 14B near a DS-series or a Mack axle at work, I chuckle to myself; the normally big 'n bad 14B looks puny in comparison.

Put any 1/2" gun next to any 3/4" gun and compare the size of the hammer cases. Of course the 3/4" will hit harder, even if it's not rated much higher... it's got a bigger, heavier hammer(s).
    I agree the 2135 doesn't replace a 3/4" gun, especially if you work on heavy trucks and similar stuff. For example, the yoke nut on a Roadranger is a 2 3/4" nut, usually blasted on by a fleet mech with the biggest impact he's got. Sometimes that's a 1" gun that will tighten with an honest-to-God 1000 ft/lbs of TQ. I wouldn't think of attempting one with my 2135 because it's just not enough gun for that job. Plus, going from the 1/2" drive of the gun to the 1" drive of the yoke nut socket would kill half the TQ from losses in the two step-ups... But I do think [opinion alarm! opinion alarm!] that the 2135TI expands the envelope of what you can do with a single gun, without having to stop your job and grab another gun, socket, and airline, and try to heave that big b*tch into places it sometimes won't fit.