Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Intake gasket install Qs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seslick77, Jun 11, 2002.

1. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Installed a new edelbrock intake the other day. Used the Mr. Gasket brand gaskets that come with the rubber front and rear pieces. I went ahead and put them on and they squished out a little. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I have read that just using silicone is the recommended method for this area. What do you guys think? Should I redo em? Sure would hate to have oil dribbleing out all over my nice clean chrome!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Also, when using silicone, what is the best way to use this stuff? It says let it "cure", does that mean let it dry? I've been using that red sticky stuff you put on with a brush(sorry forgot the name) on the engine side to help keep the gasket in place. Will this stuff seal that side of the gasket or should I silicone both sides of all my gaskets? Thanks for the help!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif <font color="red"> </font color>

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I personally like using silicone instead of the end gaskets, but thats me. People have luck and failures either way. If its already done, starting it up and checking for leaks won't hurt anything, just prove whether it worked or not.

I like the idea of waiting 24hours on silicone to dry myself, just for "insurance". It's ok to use it around the head to intake water ports, but should not be used around the intake ports. Not sure if some Chev intake gaskets are steel or not, but on the Olds, which is steel, I use the copper brush on high tack stuff, which seems to work good. On composition gaskets, I wouldn't use anything unless it was just to hold it in place, and the high tack brush on stuff would work well for that.

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I have always used the silicone in place of the rubber end seals. Just let it sit for a few minutes to lightly skin and then put the intake on, works like a charm and does not harden over time like the rubber seals will.

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I installed the gaskets on mine and they squished out a little. After a few weeks I had developed a leak in the rear. I had to disassemble everything and use silicone. No problems after that.