Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New IROK Size coming soon

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudzer, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I posted this over at Pirate and thought I should post it here too.

YES - They are molding a 42 real soon, its definately in the design stages. See more info below.

Okay, firstly I am not sure how many of you are aware of the tire molding process so Here we go! Interco did not release any mold dates and Please, don't go ringing their phone off the hook about this - they are doing their part. Molding a new tire size takes time.

Here's the procss. First they do the design on paper. A plastic model is casted of various sections of the tire to see their design in 3D. These "Model Sections" are tweaked and fine tuned and finally transferred to Mold Drawings (back to paper). From there, they are sent to their mold shop where they make whats called a "Green Tire". A Green Tire is basically a carcass that looks similar to a drag slick. This is pressed into the mold and cooked. It is taken out of the mold and cured. Then you have a "Sample Tire". This Sample tire is cut up to check it internally for flaws in the molding process and to see how molding affects the size designated for the Green Tire. If there are flaws, they have to go back to the drawing board - test and test more until they develop another Sample tire. After the Sample Tire is perfected, it is time for testing on the Test Wheel. If it passes on the Test Wheel, then it's time for production. SO, theres your tire molding process in a nutshell. Now you can see why a tire takes a while to develop from conception to sale on the showroom. Most tires can be developed quickly depending on your molding process. I will not disclose the details of their molding process, but I can say its first rate and very well thought out.

Few of you might not know this. Radial and Bias tires seldom use the same mold. So, the 42" IROK is slated for being molded in a "Bias mold", meaning it will be a bit meatier, but will also be lighter than its TSL predecessor. So, for those who whine about it having shallow tread depth, this should be a bit deeper in tread.

I have some Weights for you:

39.5" IROK weighs in at 76 Pounds.
    39.5" TSL weighs in at 94 Pounds.

Granted the IROK is a shallow bit narrower than the TSL, it is lighter for competition.

The 42" IROK has been estimated to weigh 94 Pounds.
    42" TSL weighs in at a heafty 104 Pounds.

Of course, this is an estimation - I would guess less for the 42" IROK, but we will see.

Estimated cost for the 42" IROK should be around $238 - $258 range.

Again, I got this straight from the source. NO HERESAY. But, please be patient and don't ring the phone off the hook. They will be updating their site real soon with info.

I may try to get an early production set of 42" IROK's for testing and will post pics and data ASAP. Give me a month or so.
    /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Any ideas on the width of them?? Personally I'd like to see a 42 in a 16" width or so

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

They aren't making these for a 16" wheel perhaps? I see they make a 39.5" in a 16" wheel.

4. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

just looked at the POR site and the thread over there. IS the 47" IROK gonna become a reality also?
    Any width or other specs on those?

Thanks for the info!

6. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

42x14x15 from what i've seen on another site. i would like to see a 42x16-17x15 myself.

7. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Just FYI there going to do a 45" also. From what I hear not going to be avaliable until the spring of 04. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I agree...a 42x16-17 would be SWEET!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

45" /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

just give me a 42x16x15 tslsx. that's what i would like to really see.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Probably not going to be available for 16.5 rims, eh? That size seems to be going out of style, but it sucks for those of us that are running Hummer wheels. Oh well, time tostep up to 17s or dubs I guess. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Mudzer

We didn't discuss rim size. I will try to persuade Interco to keep the 16.5" rim size. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

They did talk about a 20" rim size which is pretty popular. I told them I would probably wear out my 40ies and then get the 42's. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Did you talk about width at all?

13. Mudzer

It is going to be around a 15" CS width. Not sure about tread.

14. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if you are talking with them can you suggest more 16in rim sizes? tsl's and boggers the biggest you can get is a 38in tire and the new irok 39.5in but thats as big as they make for 16's /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif so more bigger 16in sizes would be sweet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I would suggest something like a 42x15.5x15 or 44x15.5x15 as being a good size for my needs (AZ rocks). 44s are just too wide in the TSLs...

16. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I'll nominate myself to test the first 47's in 16.5. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

17. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Estimated cost for the 42" IROK should be around $238 - $258 range.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats cheaper than my 38's! tsl radials /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

what kind of milage are we lookin to get on these, just a thought, my rig is a dd too /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

19. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have spoken directly with Interco as well. They told me that the 42x13.5x15 will be first off of the molds, then it will be a 42x13.5x16.5. After that they will looking at possible the 16" and 17" rims, and even possibly a 20" setup. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

anyone know if there are plans for smaller Iroks? I notice they dont have anything between 35 and 39.5... what, no 37 or 38.5? these tires are kinda cool cause they are light (compared to TSLs anyway)... be neat to run em on a light buggy.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

j