Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Jimmy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WinslowS, Sep 20, 2006.

1. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

Hey, this is my first post, I've been reading around on the site for a couple of weeks. I've been wanting a K5, as they seem like really cool vehicles, and my 2wd Toyota T100 isn't much offroad. My parents said once I finished my Eagle Scout I could get something I liked and sell my truck, and I just finished up the other week. I found a 1984 GMC Jimmy High Sierra 305 AT out at a used car lot in Greer, SC. It needs paint, the interior is gone to hell, engine smokes out the exhaust manifolds a bit, power steering box leaks, radiator needs help, and one of the tires is almost bald. The body is pretty much rust free, a bit of surface rust in a very few places. My dad worked at an autoparts store before and during college, and built his first few cars from junkers in the shop in the back, so he can help me with it. I was just wonder what yall thought, as yall seem pretty knowledgable overall.
    Thanks, Winslow

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

congrats on the eagle scout i know thats a lot of work been there myself, For all the stuff you are saying is wrong with it i would not pay to much for it, to get it looking nice is going to cost a lot of moeny, but if you don't mind putting into it and working on it they are great trucks to work on and learn with

3. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

The guy said he'd take 1150. I'm not to worried about making it look pretty, as much as functional.

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

that seems like a lot for all the stuff you say is wrong, i paid 300 for a great running 74 with a bad tranny, and paid 150 for a strong running 79 that drove and did not blow any smoke with new 31's

5. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Look for a private party sale so you know the history and get a much better deal.

6. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

try posting in the southeastern section there are alot of guys that live near you and might could hook you up on a better deal ,by the way welcome to CK5

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I agree, you could do better for 1150. Either offer much less for it, or move on. My best advise is to look around a little more. there is no hurry, and if this one gets sold, then it wasn't the one for you. I preffer to find something that needs a "little" work, and not a lot. Usually you can still get a great deal, but have less to fix. :thumb:

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'll chime in too.

$1150 is simply too high of a price for a truck in an obvious state of disrepair. If you can SEE that much wrong, expect that there is a lot you CAN'T see that is gonna need to be dealt with. Pass on that truck, and keep searching.

Welcome to CK5, brother. :thumb:

9. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

show us yuour jimmy

lol :)

WELCOME

As for that price...

i see two options, double your investment to 2500 and get one alot cleaner, lifter and in better running condition, being this is your first, problems such as paint/body/and mechanical issues can be a big deal to ya.

also of member on here start with clean trucks, and if they are new to it struggle at times because the hobby or working on cars is new to them. these are simple trucks, but that is after you own one and wrench on it to a point that you understand it very well.

but...if you with to spend that price, either shop around for a while, also notem if you require emssions the smog thing can aggrivate you if it is missing parts, find one that just passed emmsions and save some headaches.

10. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Xeleventy billion.

And welcome.

11. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Thats a pretty high price. Congrats on eagle man. I'm one as well.

12. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

yeah dont pay that much for that one do what everyone else said and look around. i will keep an eye out if i run across anything will let you know. :D

13. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

Yeah yall are probably right. Since I was planning on putting some money into it, one even in the 4-5k range would be doable. I'm probably gonna cough up $25 and join so I could talk to Caleb22 about his that he is selling right here in Spartanburg.

14. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

pay the $25 not a bad idea. :D

15. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

I agree, but there is always the chance I won't get a K5. Then I'm out $25 with nothing gained.

16. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Pay the $25.00 you will get more than your money's worth. Yep look around and keep your eyes open to stuff just sitting. Once you join you will be under the spell and you will have at least one Blazer / Jimmy if not two or more.

Good Job on the Eagle!!!

Welcome to the board!

17. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Yep, it's going to wind up costing several times that $1150 when it's all said and done, ready to run. You can see one or two better buys in his geographic area on the CK5 classifieds, Autotrader, or other places.

It's one thing when the vahicle is so rare that you can't even find an affordable example that doesn't have rodents living in the seats, but there are quite a few of these trucks around, in decent shape, and decently priced. Get one with upgraded axles underneath (like I didn't do), and you've got most of the heavy lifting done already.

18. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

You seem interested in off-road capability, so are you thinking maybe another GM, or Ford, Jeep, maybe Toyota?

19. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Hey, give me a holler, I helped Bill (Caleb22) put the lift on:D