Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Job prospect Help needed**Updated**

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by burban89, Mar 1, 2007.

1. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

Ok I have a new job prospect, well a new job if I really want it. But the guy that owns the business wants my demands. I have never had to negotiate a job before. I have always been told here is what you get. So my question is what do I ask for? Is there a set formula? Do I just shoot high and let him talk me down or go tell me to fly a kite? How many of you have had to do this, and how did you go about it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  2. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Go in with a reasonable set of demands - research the typical pay for the skills you have to offer and expect what your skills are worth. If he is hiring you away from an existing job don't give up anything, benefits, vacation time etc.

Also, ask for the long term - 401k, additional vacation time with longevity, regular performance reviews with appropriate raises etc.

I could probably be more specific if I know what kind of job it is and how bad he wants you.

3. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

Im not going to give up what I have now.

The bad part is its a small business. Im sure he dosent offer 401k, I know he has insurance but you pay for it yourself.

I will be working from home doing customer sevice for a large internet business. It is basicly what I do now. The pluses are I dont have to drive 80 miles round trip to go to work. My internet is payed for. I dont have someone hanging over me all day, yelling about numbers.

I know he has a hard time finding knowledgeable people. I guy I worked with is working for him now and is basicly "getting me in". To quote the business owner "if he(me) is as good as you say, Yes I want him. Find out what he(me) wants. I need him in here."

4. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

It's not bad for extra income now, and it's nice to have access to reasonable health insurance even if you pay for it yourself. Only problem is that when retirement time comes you will REALLY wish there was a retirement benefit.

5. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I say still make an offer... the worst he can do is say no.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ask about a retirement plan... when he says there isn't one, then ask for more $ to compensate. Stay disciplined, contribute every pay check (you can make it automatic) and a RothIRA can be worth quite a bit when you retire... and ALL of the $ is tax free.

j

7. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

way to go Jason....10....

8. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

That is the route I was going in.

Now I have to just sit and wait and see what his counter offer is.

9. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

NEver underestimate your worth. It sounds like this guy really wants you, so make him pay for it.

good luck small business can be VERY fun

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i hope you get what you want Craig.you have a job and he wants what you have to offer so.and i worked for a mom and pop place and Dan offered more than i am getting from a national company.my medical was FREE(including co pays),401k, three weeks vacation. and $1.00 an hour raise every year, requardless of profits.then ABC bought us.i got a two dollar an hour raise, but i had to start paying for medical.and now i have co pays and ****.Dan used to match 100 percent of our 401,ABC just started doing that but only on 3%.:rolleyes: wooo the only reason Dan sold is cuz his dad owned the other store and thought ABC was to big to contend with.we are the only stores making money,of the 6 stores they got in our area. we would have killed them. OH WELL. good luck Craig.:waytogo:

11. 76zimmer

Yeh, hows Nicky feel about it? Hope the best for ya, and post up again with the news one way or the other.

12. boggerless

i think Nicky is cool with Craig being home.MAYBE:haha: :haha: :haha:

13. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

I hear ya Bogger. I use to work for "ma and pa" I and in some ways was the best place to work for, and I miss it. The insurance thing Im not really worried about, Nic has it to cover the kids so thats all that matters to me right now. Im just thinking, if I take no raise Ill be saving at least 100 dollars a week in travel. I dont know it is kind of a toss up right now till I hear back. But Im also to the point I would almost do anything to get out of where I am now.

14. burban89'sgirl

burban89'sgirl 1/2 ton status

if he quits his wineing awsome but there goes my days off and running nekkid thru the house :haha: :haha: i only work 3 min away lunch breaks could be worth it :D

he'd be saving lots on gas so i cant complain maybe there would be a diamond in the future ..........or not :haha:

15. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

:eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

16. boggerless

not spending so much travel time would be a plus.thats one of the reasons i took the lay off. the crappy winter hours we get and what i spend in gas made it cheaper to stay home.:D

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  17. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

Yea, thats a 100 bucks a week that i can stick into the Burb and K5. :D

18. boggerless

:thinking: it would have to be a hellova pay cut to say no to that.i hope it works for ya Craig.

19. 76zimmer

Nicky, your like a soap opera here...but in a good way, :haha: :haha: :haha:

20. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

Well I got the "call" today. :smile1: Everything is looking good, I'm going to be keeping most of what I have now. And plus some added bonuses I don't have now.:waytogo: I have to give him my final word tomorrow. And then come up with the guts to tell my current boss to piss off. :doah: I know that everything is going to be for the better, but I still have that lumpy nervousness in my gut about it all. :D