Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Job

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bassin4507, May 7, 2005.

1. bassin4507

bassin4507 Registered Member

Just got a new job the other day and I just had tell someone about it. Since I've been out of high school I've been a commercial fisherman. Now I just got a better job on a different boat. The boat's name is the Tropico it's 87' and we fish two 15' scallop dredges. Trips will be 9-15 days long and the money has been very good. I'll be the engineer, so I'll have to take care of the main engine, 2 generator sets, and everything else on the boat, as well as the normal fishing duties. I am starting out at half share because I can't shuck scallops as well as the other crewmembers. From what I've heard it's the toughest type of fishing on the east coast. Probably leaving on tuesday, I can't wait.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Good Luck!

Congrats on the nw job!--But I hope your aware of the dangers out there!-I lost two friends on a lobster boat few years ago,a sudden storm came up and capsized their boat..Your a braver man than I--I cant swim,and avoid the ocean as much as possible!...but scollops!...MMmmmmm-yum!.. :crazy:

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Make ya tough dude.....good going!

4. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

congrats better money usually translates to NEW TOYS!!! :saweet: :saweet:

5. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I commecial fished salmon and crab in Alaska all through high school and college. Man, watch the lines and winches on deck, keep your survival suit close, and practice with it a couple times a month. Oh yeah, don't forget about the taxes. Some of the guys tried to beat the taxman.... one of them was hit with $100,000 in fines. I am done, and will not ever go back!!! Be safe and enjoy the cash.

6. bassin4507

bassin4507 Registered Member

Yeah I know all about the taxes, but I didn't pay much this last year because I bought a new truck and could write it all off (because of the $100,000 new equipment write off, thanks president Bush). There always is the element of danger out there, but you just have to pay attention and trust the captain and the boat. I quit one boat because I just didn't feel safe on it, it didn't matter how much money we were going to make. If I stay on this one boat I'll have enough money to build my shop soon and then I can start making all kinds of stuff.