Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New K-10!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by theitalian404, Nov 30, 2005.

1. theitalian404

theitalian404 Registered Member

Hey guys, I finally got my dream truck!!! It's an 85' Chevy K-10 short/wide. It has a 305, mated to a 4spd. It has warn locking hubs, 2inch suspension lift, and 3 inch body lift. It has a set of pretty new off brand 35's with a lot of tread. They're almost a bfgoodrich all-terrains. The overall appearance is so/so...has NO RUST and the paint is faded, and peeling on the cab. It has a dent on the front left 1/4 panel, and some dents right above the front bumper, and right below the grille. The interior is pretty good, nice comfy bench seat, no rips. New dash, but has no air condition vents.(my truck is a base model, no air condition, no interior lights..and so on). So I have big holes across my dash where the vents are supposed to be; im thinking of making some diamond plate dummy's to cover them up. I've only had it 2 days, it needs a good cleaning inside and out, oil change, flushing the radiator..the basics. My throw out bearing is going out, so im just gonna buy a $150 clutch kit with everything, and while im at it im gonna replace my rear main...it has a small leak. I also need to dish my stock 2bbl carb...it's a p.o.s...my buddy is gonna give me a newer edelbrock 2bbl, and i'll throw on a K&N air filter I have with a nice Chrome chevy air cleaner. I'm also gonna throw on some of those new dynomax el-cheapo headers, hooked up to some 40-series flowmasters, then out to turndows. Since it's due for a tune up im gonna get an Accel Ignition tune-up kit...new plugs, wires, terminal, distrubitor cap and so on. Im also gonna throw on some 8" pro-comp lights on the front bumper. Okay, now that i've typed a whole page....I have a question, before Ya'll flame me....I'm just letting you know I used to be a motocross/atv guy....not a transmission mechanic...and im only 15. Okay, I used to have a 4x4 93' S-10 Blazer with a 3" lift and 31's...when I was in 2wd and i started spinning in mud, grass, on pavement whatever...BOTH of my rear tires would turn. On this K-10 I just got, Only one rear tire will spin when in 2wd. What's the deal with that? Well, some answers would be appreciated..and yes...it'll be locked soon enough, front and rear.(Detroit's!)

Well, all help, advice comments will be appreciated.
    -Thanks, Anthony

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Its not locked & the other one was.

Might want to pass on the 2bbl, I assume you are doing the exhaust mods to free up some pwr.

Good to see another user from GA.

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds like a pretty nice truck! The dented parts can all be replaced by unbolting that peice of sheet-metal, and replacing it with a new one -- My K25 is about 6 different colors at the moment :haha:

As far as the dash vents go, why not get yourself a new cluster bezel that is from a non-AC truck? Then there will be a handy little storage bin where the upper right AC hole is, and a nice factory delete plate where the bottom left hole is.

The reason why your rear diff spins only one tire is becuase the 10 bolt has an open diff, while the 10 bolt in your blazer had what we lovingly reffer to as a gov bomb (assuming no one changed it out before you got it). The gov bomb is GM's factory selectable posi unit, but becuase of the many small moving parts in it, too much throttle around a corner or something will make it lock up under extreme stress, and bust into a billion little peices. However, when you are just going down the road, it acts like an open diff so you don't have trouble going around corners and such.

And, finally, as far as the carb goes -- Don't bother with the 2 barrel! That 305 needs a 4 barrel for you to be satisfied with the power, for now anyways! 4 barrel intakes for 305s are extremely common, and personally, I'd suggest getting a good used q-jet carb. You can set those things and forget about them until the next time you take your engine apart. However, if you plan on hardcore offroading the poor truck, it will stumble and such on very steep inclines, declines etc

4. theitalian404

theitalian404 Registered Member

wow! thanks for all the great replies. yeah, I might look into that 4bbl. But that 305 has some balls....im just gonna buy a nice used q-jet or edelbrock 2bbl, or 4bbl...deoending on what deal I come across first.

-thanks for everything, and more replies would be appreciated.

-anthony

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Holley has a 500 CFM 2 barrel....