Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New K5 advice and upgrades

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Radek, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Radek

Radek Registered Member

First of all I'm new to this site and to the 4x4 world. Awesome site you got here. I spent 5 hours just reading info and posts last night trying to catch up.(I have a long way to go)

Anyway, I just picked up myself an 1985 K5 Blazer 6.2C Diesel. I think it's pretty much stock with 31" tires.

I'd like to throw some bigger rubber on it, say around 35" to 37" and I have some questions.
    I was reading all about the different gear ratios, transmissons and what you need for certain tires sizes.

First of all how do I find out what tranny, ratios, etc do I have on my truck. (I know this is a super nebie question) Is there like a big mark somewhere on the hardware or what?

Also I want to be able to drive this thing around town and highway as an everyday ride so I'd like to gear it so it can handle normal highway speeds.

If I want to put some money into this rig, what would be one of the first and most noticable upgrades that I should make to have the truck. In terms of off road performance.

Thanks for all the info and I'll hook up some photos later today.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: New K5 advise and upgrades

I'd have to say stronger axles and deeper gears (and lockers) with a lift kit. That would put the truck down and apart for a while though which makes it kinda hard to wheel/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

My truck has been an evolution and I try not to do modifications twice. Having said that I think I'd install a moderate lift and a drop in locker in the diffs you have now, disconnect the sway bar and enjoy wheeling it while you do the research. Your percieved list of needs will change and get refined as you wheel it and get to know what kind of use you want to tailor the truck for. Nothing but seat time will do that.

Rene

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

to start i would say get a good foundation under it with new axles. 14 bolt ff's are very cheap, will bolt right up and there are prolly about 20 in your town right now. A dana 60 up front would be the best thing but if you dont have grand for it (like me) you can convert your 10 bolt to 8 lug and be on your way (like me). since you have a overdrive allready (i'm guessing a 700r4) try to find a 14ff with at least 4:56 gears or you will want to upgrade after awhile (like me). once the axles are in they mean new rims for the 8 lug pattern and new tires go good with new rims /forums/images/icons/wink.gif and after that put on a lift. if you dont mind cutting the fenders a 4" would work pretty good. after that start doing the things that any truck needs like a steering box brace, pollyurethane body mounts, longer brake lines (will need them with the lift) and then go try it out. see what works ask questions here.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Here are the RPO codes that should be found in the glovebox to determine your axle ratios. There may or may not be a tag on the axle under one of the cover bolts also, this tag will have the ratio stamped on it.

GU4 - 3.08
    GU5 - 3.23
    GU6 - 3.42
    GT4 - 3.73
    GT5 - 4.10
    HC4 - 4.56
    G80 - Factory limited slip (rear)

You can ID your tranny here - Tranny guide

As far as the transfer case, it's probably easiest for you to post the shift pattern, by that someone will be able to tell you what case it is.</font color>

5. Radek

Radek Registered Member

Ok, finally figured some of my specs out
    Tranny
    this is the 4spd with over drive
    th700-r4 (gear ratios 3.06,1.63,1.00,0.70)

Transfer case
    NP-208 (L/H ratios 2.61, 1.00)

Front Diff
    GM9 (ratio 3.73)

Rear Diff
    GM30 (ratio 3.73)

Also I'm running the 6.2 diesel here.

Will I have enough torque at 35" tires with the above setup or will I require to go to a 4.10 diff.
    If I do require the 4.10 will I still be able to easily roll at 70mph on the highway (I guess the OD in this setup helps a bit)

Oh and here are a few pics of the truck
    Photo1
    Photo2
    Photo2
    Photo2

Thanks

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,

Nice pic's and truck.I like the roof carrier you have,you make that or was it on the truck when you bought it?
    Oh ya,welcome.

7. Radek

Radek Registered Member

Bobk, the boat rack came with the truck when I got it. But I've seen that exact rack on many other Blazers in photos so maybe it's something factory or readily available through some manufacturer.

I will probably be getting rid of it as soon as I get a soft-top rack. Are you interested? Shipping might be a bitch. It's light but pretty large.