Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEW K5 BLAZER CONCEPT

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BEAST II, Aug 26, 2002.

1. BEAST II

BEAST II Registered Member

THERE IS A NEW K5 BLAZER CONCEPT - I HAVE SEEN A FEW PICTURES ON VARIOUS WEB PAGES, BUT THE BEST PICTURES I HAVE FOUND ARE AT
    www.canadiandriver.com/news/010115-4.htm
    IT LOOKS LIKE IT MIGHT BE SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO - A REAL BLAZER AGAIN!!! blazerguy5502@yahoo.com TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

its pretty neat..the looks dont exactly get me excited..reminds me to much of a tracker or geo type look to much..but sounds like its got some nice power to it...would be interecting to take a look at though..hope the decide to put it on the market..

Bryan

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Looks alright. But put solid axles front/rear, and add the removeable hard-top, then we can talk business. Oh yeah, change the Avalanche look-alike styling.

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I think it's great. It looks good and brings back the rear removable top. And with the 4 door system it works well with kids or taking your wife and another couple out to dinner. That way we could all turn our K-5's into our off road only vehicals.....
    Just my two cents...

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea BUT i wonder what the price will be for that thing..if the k5's were still around today in production they would be pretty pricy...i think they were when they were around...

Bryan

6. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Looks like a big Tracker, but at least the approach and departure angles are better.

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

This was a concept like 2 years ago. It has already been stated that it will never see production. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Ken H.

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

This is very old news as concepts go. The platform it is based on (2 door Tahoe) has been out of production for quite a few years. Not to mention a body style change.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well i wish they would put another round of k5s back out there i have a feeling they would sell real good...

Bryan

10. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

Ugg! That is super ugly!
    No way you7 would get me into that thing...to buy it I mean...

11. 19Jimmy87

19Jimmy87 Registered Member

I think it is great for a modern car. What I don't understand ...Why can't GM see the success of the Wrangler and follow? They could do a full convertible, mid-size/full-size, decent options, v-6 with room to improve. I recently had to do a marketing project for a course I was taking. I know what is patented and what is not. I also got prices and costs. Start up would be high, but the profit from taking some of the Wrangler market would more than compensate after a few years. Gm tries with the Tracker, which is cheap, they are experimenting with the new Trailblazer with retractable top.
    IMHO they could drop a few lines such as the Tracker and get something going. Convertibles will always be "IN".

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i want them to come with a full size convertable i hate those trackers..poses they are..if they could just take the tahoe..and make it have a removable top just like the old k5's that would rule...

Bryan

13. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I could'nt buy it...it would be too hard to cut up and explain to the wife that afterall it is/was a Blazer!Let's face it guys,the good old days are gone!Unless I can buy one for under 1K and has an live front axle it's pointless.That's why we all have our "old" K/5's.Mike

14. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

the only thing i liked about it was the 440 Hp, im just not into these futuristic looking trucks, jmo

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well i have to agree with you guys on that...the good days of the solid front axls...and real sheet medal...instead of half plastic trucks are gone..but for dodge..i think they are still using solid front axls..but that thing is pretty ugly and really nothing like the real k5's....man i feel so lucky to have mine even more now..even if it is a rust bucket! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif lol...

Bryan

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The new Dodge 1/2 ton is IFS. New & Improved for this year-yea, right! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

17. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

There actually is still a two door tahoe in the new deisgn of chevy trucks for sale only in Mexico, i read that in a magazine in 99 when the new chevy trucks came out and they stoped building main stream market 2 door tahoes. I am assuming they used one of these rare from mexico 2 door tahoes to build this K5 concept. I really like it and would love to see it hit production although i dont think it will. If it does ever hit production it will have the Avalanch front end just like the 03 chevy trucks. If they were available i would buy one as a daily driver. If i were rich i would ORU solid axle conversion the front, lift it six inches... Then we would really be talking.
    Ike

18. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

The Avalanche in my opinion is the 'new' k5 just a little too long for our offroad applications. Compare the K5s with the removable back to a Avalanche. With the top pulled off and the rear seat removed our beloved K5s could haul just about anything and the open air was refreshing for sporting around town.

The Avalanche allows you to pop out the rear window, roll the windows down, open the sunroof and you are 'close' but admittedly not quite the same. I think it would be interesting for them to add a 'second' sunroof for the rear seat ala Rovers, to get more of that precious sunshine in!

I am eyeballing an Avalanche as my next daily driver for the above reasons. There is a 'camper top' that will bolt in over the rear bed that is pretty nice and I think you probably could get a 3rd row seat from a Suburban, etc and make a bracket so you could add a 3rd row to the Avalanche.

So...I guess all this just to say, there is kind of an alternative, just gets you 4 doors instead of two and quite possibly the ugliest (or best looking) vehicle on the road...depends on your taste I guess. (Check out the Caddy versions, all painted solid color, I am seriously thinking of buying Avalanche and painting the 'plastic cladding' the same color as the rest of the truck.)

Sam...still keeping my first gen k5 for the FULL convertible feeling!

19. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Painting the plastic does make it look a lot better.

Ken H.

20. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah I have to say that a 2500 Avalanch has the features I want in a vehicle. It will tow and if I need it to it will hold a sheet of plywood. Place for the dog and 4 doors, Not ungodly long. The black ones don't look to bad.