Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New K5 issues

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by istallion88k5, Jun 20, 2000.

1. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

I bought a 88 K5 4" Rancho suspension, I upgraded to 35" BFG's seems great loving it so far. Two questions, the @##$# PVC valve keeps popping out, I can push it back in but and it seems to click into place but then I notice white-ish smoke coming out when I first take off, then I know the darn thing popped back up any ideas? Second when I first take off it seems like the back axle is twisting or something, cause it feels like something is holding me down, could be torque just wondering, cause if I take off slow its fine and it only does it on takeoff? BTW just found this group the other night and there's so much info out there I'll never run out of ideas...

2. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Have you just noticed this since you put the lift and 35s on? When you upgrade to bigger meats without changing your gears, you will notice a power loss. Those bigger tires take more power to get them turning, therefore robbing performance.
    Dont know about the PVC valve except maybe trying a new rubber insert.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Good luck!

3. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

4. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Hmm, you may have to much pressure in your crankcase some how that is blowing it out of your valve covers, i don't know just a though

5. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Maybe too much piston ring blow-by? Either that or a mildly blown head gasket? Any other ideas?

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like axle wrap to me. The rear is lifted with blocks I bet.
    As for the PCV. Are the lines hooked up correct as in the line where it pulls in freash air? I know at times my crank case filter gets full of oil leading me to belive that at times the crank case pressure exceeds what the PCV is capable of handling. White smoke is typical of burning coolant not oil. Oil has a blue hue to it.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

7. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

Ok stupid gromet was culprit of pcv valve, grabbed a new one at autozone today and new pcv valve for good measure, hell whats 4 bucks, works like a champ now now more smoke. Yes the rear is lifted with blocks bought it that way not the way I would do it, but it had 33's on it when I got it guy said he had 35's on it but never went off roading so he put 33's on it when those ran out, so I put 35's back on it. It is almost like it binding up as you first take off or something so the blocks cause that(new one to me)?

8. NJ SAR Guy

NJ SAR Guy Registered Member

Yep. It's the blocks. It's called "axle wrap". What happens is as the torque goes to the rear wheels, the blocks give the wheals extra leverage to litarly twist the leaf springs into an "S" shape around the blocks. Then the springs snap back into shape.

Hope this helps,
    NJ SAR Guy.

NJ SAR Guy

Please excuse all of my misspelled wurds.