Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New K5!!! :-) Need Help though

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kcze9159, Oct 30, 2000.

1. Kcze9159

Kcze9159 Registered Member

Finally got the truck I've been looking for. Its an all original unmolested 79 K5......... no aftermarket parts EVER. Original Owner, 71,000 Documented miles. Factory Hitch, A/C, 4bolt 350, TH350 trans, buckets w/console, factory rallyes. Runs like NEW......

Downside is... rust. Lower qtrs are rusty, front fenders are, hood mint, doors are shot, floors have a few holes, are coated with rust, and look brittle although I can stand on them.

Where's my best bet from some replacement qtrs, floors including the rear bed, etc? I am going to grab a front clip off a 79 pickup, as well as the doors, but whats my best bet on the rest of the body to get it in shape?

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

There are several aftermarket places available.
    www.cheyennepickup.co, lmc.com (order their catalog) goodmark.com, and jcwhitney.com. The floorboards for the driver/passenger side are tricky. Most offer drop in that are more hammer, cuss, hammer some more...etc. Theyare actually for the pickup which is different. Welcome to K5 country and to the wonderful world of the 79. I spent 11 months on a complete frame off restoration on my 79 and just finished it up last week. Have some fine tuning on the running gear after taking it out for a romp in the mud this past weekend.

3. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

http://www.lmctruck.com- Ordered a catalog from them and they have everything to restore or up date your K5. I highlly sugjest it.

blazen91

4. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Hey Wheels,

Couldn't get anything on goodmark.com ... is that different than LMC or just part of the LMC.com website?

Thanks

5. Kcze9159

Kcze9159 Registered Member

I've also seen posts and such about swapping the blazer tub??? Whats involved in this? The truck I have has rusted front floors, rusted floors in front of the back seat, rust near the tailgate, rust in the quarters, one rocker is about 70% missing from rust, the other is all rusted as well...

The good clean metal is the firewall, windshield pillars, tailgate, and a few scattered parts of the cab body like the top 6-8" of the qtrs, the door hinge pillars, etc......... basically the bottom foot or so of the truck with the exception of a mint frame and driveline and those parts I said above is rotted or rusty.