Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New k5 owner...computer geek...need help and advice.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kick5a55, Apr 23, 2006.

1. kick5a55

kick5a55 Registered Member

Hello fellow K5 owners.! :bow:

Computer geek here, not really mechanically inclined, but a proud owner of an 86 K5. I live in Denver and have some questions, dilemmas. I have purchased this fine vehicle because I was tired of my lamo friends saying they were going wheelin over the summer and then only going once. Now I will be going every weekend. But here is my dilemma, where to start on my truck?? I'm pretty sure most of everything on there is stock...well almost stock. I think there is a 3 inch block lift and 33 inch tires. The front tire has a plug so I am for sure going to have to replace that. The rest....NO idea. :confused: I don't want to chop it up, just get the vehicle in shape to make a fellow "jeep" owner eat his words. I am going to get some MT 35" Baja Claw tires soon, but that's about all I know how to do.

Sorry for the long post, looking for some fellow Denverish K5 owners to get to know and see if I can get some help learning the trade and making my rig into a solid 4wheelin rig.

Thanks in advance everyone!!!!:D

[​IMG]

2. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Nice looking rig. The best thing too do, and someone else will tell you this is to start by using the search on this site, everything has been covered and you will learn alot from it. You have to decide how extreme you wanna go. Axles, tires, lockers, bumpers, roll cages, more power, lower gears, type of wheeling you will be doing etc.

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Nice lookin truck, it looks as though you might have a 4 inch suspension lift. Which is a good thing, I dont paticularly like body lifts, even though I have one. lol. Post some pics of the suspension, and well be able to tell. Sounds like you got the right idea, bigger tires...then do gears/traction devices, and/or heavier axles. Keep reading and do a little searching and youll learn a whole lot. When/if you go to 35's I would leave it at 4 inch lift and do a tiny bit of trimming if neccessary.

4. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

you will definitely nee to trim the fenders at least in the fron. even with light wheeling my fenders hit my 35" 's and its not a fun sound to hear. and i have trimmed already, so keep that in mind.

also like stated get pics of your suspension setup so we can tell what you have.

great looking rig, and welcome!!!!

5. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Welcome, fellow geek :)

Mechanical skill comes with experience, patience, and good friends willing to help you for free (you know who you are :) )

Good luck showing up your J**p buddies. You found the right site to help you build your rig as mild or wild as you want. :D

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

one thing that makes a HUGE difference in off road capability is full time lockers. You wont notice the front on the streets because your hubs will be unlocked. The rear will be noticable at first, but give it a week or 2 and it'll be 2nd nature. If you watch enough offroading videos you'll see what I mean. Lots of trucks with out lockers attempting something 5 or 6 times, the ones with lockers, 1 shot.

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

mmmmm.....detroits make me extra happy....

8. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

ARB's make me most happy!

9. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Nice looking truck. I'd be careful with that rear exit exhaust. If you drive with the back window down, you'll get lots of exhaust fumes in the cab :(

10. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

True that, Im thinking one for my front would be :pimp:in. But I sure cant beat the deal I got...275 for a brand new detroit shipped.:wink1:

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Whats the number one thing arb owners are heard saying on the trail......"Hey, are all 4 tires spinning?":doah: Its nice to have a selectable up front, but you can always put it in 2wd to turn. Deeeeetroits are the way to go baby:bow: :bow:
    -Harrison

12. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I love that quote :bow:

13. kick5a55

kick5a55 Registered Member

Pictures

So, being a computer geek you would think I would have a digital camera. Wrong. All I have is my cell phone camera.....gonna have to fix that for sure. :crazy:

Anyway I took some pictures and hopefully they turn out ok. I am concerned about the welding of the shock in one on the pictures...doesn't do the damage..or work rather...justice. Anyway, that's what I got. Any suggestions? Also, is that a block lift???? I have heard block lifts are not so good for 4wheeling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Safety Inspection

First off Welcome to the Site,you will get all your answers questioned here!!

I would do a visual inspection of the truck first,leaksand electrical connections, parts being tight. PO's are not always the best mechanics as I have seen on my first gen.

That shock mount might not look pretty but if got penetration it should hold, keep an eye on it for cracks.

I would make sure it is mechanically sound before I wheel and always go out with someone to help in case of breakage or worse

Your truck looks great, so maybe the PO toke care of the dirty side too Later J.