Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New K5 Owner, Lots Of ?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hayduke, May 10, 2000.

1. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

New K5 Owner, Lots Of ?\'s

Hey There All,
    I stumbled upon this site about a week ago and think it's great, I just had to join in.....
    Ok, a couple of months ago i purchased a 1986 K5 Jimmy. The body is in excellent shape, no rust, very few dings or scratches. 94K on the orig. 305. Recently I had a serious lack of power and was told by my trusted mechanic that the fuel pump was going, so after having a bunk part installed, they installed a working pump and i'm back in business. My first, of many to follow, question start with power: what could be done to increase "git-up-and-go" power? This engin is a little tired and i think it needs a ring job sometime in the furure....
    I'm a student and will use student loan $$ to slowly work on it, so i want to do the best work possible on the guts of this Jimmy first B4 i move onto body and interior work.
    I'm no looking to make this truck into a mean machine, just a great running machine.
    Also, what are everyone's opinions of oil additives?
    Thanks.
    Matt

2. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Re: New K5 Owner, Lots Of ?\'s

Welcome Hayduke, when I bought my 73K5 I needed more power too, I put my Headers in and I got really good power but then again I dont need to smog it so I could put what ever I want to it, this may work for you too good luck.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I too am on a college budget right now so I know where you are coming from. In my opinion the money you spend on the 305 could be applied towards a 350 that would drop right in. Yeah, it might cost a little more, and take a little more time, but it would definitely be worth it in the long run. If you still want some inexpensive mods then you could start with the exhaust, maybe put in some flowmasters or headers or both. Just my .02.

BIGJ

4. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

add one more to the college list. the School expenses are what keeps me from running out and buying my own k5 right now. anyway.... some quick things to do for a little power increase would be the obvious things like get a k&n filter, low restriction mufflers, headers(a little more involved) etc. good luck with the new toy!

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

5. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the family Matt. The first thing you have to know is that you will become an "old" K5 owner and still have lots of questions, and the longer you visit this site, the more questions you seem to have. It is part of the ColoradoK5 magic ...lol.

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !

6. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

Ok, lets say i choose to add headers, how 'bout some opinions....

7. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

The "shorty" headers are probably the best. You may spend a little more up front, but the headers will bolt directly to your stock "y-pipe" so there's no welding, cutting, etc. Do a little research and see what you can get for your money. Summitracing.com sells several different name brands of headers. Maybe Borla or flowtech.

Chevy's RULE!

8. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

Hey hayduke,

Welcome to the site! Thought I would put my two cents in as well at least on the oil additives. I've read several publications that these oil additives on the market are not needed and in some cases cause more harm than good. Almost all of them have some bad rap to them that has been put into publishment. The one I've yet to see put on the grill is ZMax. I'm still wondering about this product myself. The best oil I've heard is Mobil 1 and use the Tri Syn. myself. In my experience, I find it is the best as well. Good luck with the new rig.

9. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

whoa! my names matt too! anyway, i think everyone should look at this guys profile! he has an older blazer than all of us!! lol, just raggin ya man![​IMG]

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

10. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

If you want some good headers, get the Flowtech Afterburners. http://www.flowtech.com.

Perfect fit, no problems with spark plugs, optional ceramic coating, dual exhaust recommended.

If you wanna see other upgrades check out my page. http://www.freeyellow.com/members7/blazer79.

Good luck.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

11. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Another Buckeye huh.....

Welcome...might look at the profile, it seems shaggy is right, you have the oldest K5 alive. Wonder what the country would have been like if we had Blazers back in 1886?
    At any rate, I also have an 86 with the 305 and 120,000 miles on it, it puffs a wee bit in the morning but I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere. I recently changed to synthetic Valvoline (blue can 10W40) and have noticed a difference, it runs better, does not seem to use as much oil, and hold pressue better. Good Luck and if you need any help just ask...there are some nice folks on here...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Definately give that tired motor a decent change of oil. Go with Valvoline Fully synthetic. It definately woke up my tired 400. I would save your money on the engine mods and buy a good set of lower gears if you plan on lifting it and installing taller tires. That will give you the most "performance" increase. You should then someday plan on swapping in a 350/383/400 etc. If you spend money on a tired motor, just to wake it up, It will be wasted when that motor finally gives out. I would also try to go with TBI from an '87 - newer V8 powered Blazer/Jimmy, Truck, or Van. THere are alot of new performance parts that will make plenty of power with either of these engines with TBI.

Good luck and glad you joined the Coolest "club" on the planet.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

13. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

welcome to the club. i haven't seen a post mention an intake. try that. about 100 bucks. i put in a edelbrock 2101 intake and dual flowmasters and a open k&n filter. you can really tell the difference. i also have a 305 and will put off putting in a new motor until this one goes offline. i had an '83 scottsdale pu with a 305 and when i bought it i figured i would be getting a new motor within the year. guess what? although it had some leaks which i tried to fix, it kept goin' and goin' and goin'. finally it got hit and i got my K5. i had the pu for 4 years.

anyway, mufflers were about $120, filter was $40 and the intake was $100. for a total of $260. add on 40 bucks for labor and it cost me $300 for all.

Phil
    82K5

14. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

WEll the first thing I did when i bought my K5 for 89000 miles on it. Is I used a teflon coating agent in the engine like slick 50 or resolve. Engone ran better and cleaner. As for power. Get a K&N air filter element so it can breathe better. Headers are a good idea if you are looking for horsepower. If you want torque stay with smaller exahust. Performance chip will help with the engine like jetchip or something like that. High Flow cats a must. I have 454 sized cats on mine. Look at your gearing to maybe to might want to change to some higher rpm geats 4.10 4.56 or so. Oh and BTW Welcome to the most information crammed Website about K5's

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com