Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New K5 owner

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PublicEnemy, Feb 18, 2003.

1. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy Newbie

I just got a '85 K5 that needs some attention but runs well.I am new to this but have always loved k5's.Now I have one and need some help learning about it.It seems to have some lift on it but nothing radical.It currently has 33x12.50 15 on really wide reverse offset chrome steel wheels.I don't think the 350 is totally stock as it has that V8 with a cam kind of attitude.I think I need to replace the steering (stock) stabilizer as it seems to have a lot of bumpsteer.What suggestions do you have for a truck that may see some light to moderate off road use.I would like to get deeper into things but at this time I want to stick to what my limited experience can handle.I also notice that some lughead removed the front driveshaft!!! WTF?!!! Is that difficult to replace?
    any help would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

id go get a rancho or similar dual steering stabilizer. as far as the front d shaft being out, go to napa or a drive line shop and get a new one if you are missing one. and there are 2 bands and 4 small bolts on the front yoke, and 4 larger bolts on the t case. very easy to install. as far as modifications go, do what your happy with, and take as much knowledge off of this site as you can. Just dont forget to join if its in your budget. welcome to the club and good luck

3. 502 4x4

502 4x4 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the site! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    It would also probably be a good idea to verify that the front and rear differential gears are matched. There may have been a reason for the front shaft removal. Ya never know... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy Newbie

How can I verify that? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

pull the inspection covers off and look for the numbers stamped in the pinion, or count the teeth on the ring and pinion and divide them

6. 502 4x4

502 4x4 1/2 ton status

As stated above, the most accurate means of determining your gear ratio is to divide the number of teeth on the ring gear by the number of teeth on the pinion gear.
    Example: 41 teeth on the ring gear and 11 teeth on the pinion gear...41 divided by 11 = 3.7272 which rounds to 3.73.
    Because the rig is new to you, it would be wise to replace all your fluids anyhow.
    If you pick up some differential cover gaskets and gear oil, you could inspect the gears for wear...determine your gearing...and replace the oil all in one shot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

You've come to the right place for info on K5's

Before you go replacing the stabilizer check your joints and draglink angle. Some folks try to do things cheaply when they lift a truck and don't bother to change the steering arm and/or draglink when they lift it. If your draglink isn't fairly horizontal then you'll get a lot of bumpsteer.

When I go my 83 it was stock height but had obviously been lifted at some point because I had a 3" block under the steering arm and caused my draglink to be all out of whack. Made for some interesting driving on the interstates when I hit a bridge or something.