Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new k5er

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newGenk5, Sep 14, 2001.

1. newGenk5

newGenk5 Registered Member

hello all, i am a new 72 k5 4w owner. by choice that is. i did own a suv, but man i got tired of that real quick, garbage compared to this truck.

anyhow, this is a really dumb question. but where/how do i change burned out fuses. i burned out my window washer yesterday(i think) and now it doesn't work. remember i am a newbee so be nice(cause i know its a dumb quesion).

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Welcome to the K5 world!!
    The fuse box is above the emegency brake. The fuse box is labled but over time the words may be faded. Do you have a circuit tester? Or take a flash light and see if you can tell if the little metal strip inside the fuse is burnt apart. Or buy a handful of fuzes and replace them all!!
    Good luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

3. newGenk5

thank you....VERY MUCH

4. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

Fusebox is located under dash in lower LH corner of firewall. Left of clutch pedal (if applicable). Stock system uses old type glass ampule fuses approx. 1/4" diam, X 1 1/4" L. Should be available from local chain auto parts store.Some fuse packs come with plastic fuse puller, which is handy for extracting fuses from block -- especially if rusty. Popping them out with flat bladed screwdriver can break glass tube. Once out, visually inspect fuse -- blown ones will have an obvious melted gap in middle. Check fuses with Ohms side of Multimeter [or VOM] for continuity. Zero Ohms means no resistance ergo good fuse. Infinity Ohms means Open or broken fuse so replace. Wattage (amps) value is stamped on metals ends of ampule. Fuse block is printed in white letters with use of each circuit and its amperage rating. Use SAME rating fuses in fuse slots. If fuse contacts are corroded, sand paper, small files or dremel w/ mini wire brush can be used to clean it up.Schematics are available separatly, but are included with _(your year)Chevrolet Truck Chassis Service Manual_ available thru mail order outfits like LMC, ChevyDuty, GoldenState etc. Well worth the money. Hope this helps-Welcome aboard-Good Luck.

5. newGenk5

got it! acutally i looked and the fuse itself was missing, hmmm. well unfortunitaly i dont have a manual, all i got was the truck itself(yeah!)

but just have to buy a fuse now, anyone from(or near) sacramento, ca or bay area, ca

again thanks for all the help, cant belive how helpful and easy that was.

6. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

welcome,

ditto to all the above. common cause of stuff going out is corosion on the fuse terminals. clean out the fuse connections even after you replace the fuse.

there are a few people here from the bay area, they'll show up.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm from San Jose, California.

8. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

I live in Lodi Ca what size lift do you have or plan to put on? I do alot of my wheeling up HWY 50 on ice house road just past pollock Pines.and what ever mud hole i can find.
    Where do you live? 1 FN HI K5

9. newGenk5

originally from bay area cally, but now in sacramento.

here are some pictures just to show you guys.....and yes i have actually done some work to it....i did not just buy it like this.......

href="http://64.172.156.16/k5/"&gt;click here

or select this
    http://64.172.156.16/k5/

check it out.....

well i guess links dont work huh...? oh well

10. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Very cool, looks almost like burt4x4's K5

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.slydawg.rockcrawler.com>www.slydawg.rockcrawler.com</a>

11. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

nice 72..........im from lodi also. im friends with 1FNHIK5. welcome to the k5 family. gotta love the first gens. in fact i might be getting my second one this week!!!! all the local people need to get together sometime........even if its not to wheel. catch ya later, tmanofcali

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/tmanofcali1>http://community.webshots.com/user/tmanofcali1</a>

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Oh no that one is way cleaner than mine!
    I am near Modesto just south of you down 99 about an hour!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

13. blazerman

blazerman Registered Member

I'm from Roseville! Hey, where did you get the side bars from, and did you have to do a lot of cutting to get them on? Nice truck, hopefully mine will look something like that someday!

72 K5 - 33's on stock susp. and lots of rust! But at least it's payed for!!!

14. newGenk5

Nerf Bars

Man i got those things a long time ago...i will try to find out wherei got them at again...and the cutting was not too bad....but then again i could of been hell at the time ya know.......well got to go....NEED TO GET A GOD DAMN U JOUNT......these things go out like almost every year.....does that happen to you guys too or what......

keep on rollin

15. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Re: Nerf Bars

Welcome! I'm in the SF Bay Area... Nice rig. It does kind of look like Burt4x4's, but no winch...

I've only blown one U-joint on my Blazer. Remember to lube your new U-joints up with good grease before installing. The stuff they put in them for shipping is a rust inhibitor, not a lube...

16. newGenk5

Lube

interesting subject huh....yeahi think i used come crappy lube last time....but i got some good Valvoline this time...hopefully this will do the trick....where from the bay are you....i'm in the heart of sacramento but i am always in the bay Concord CA. acutally pretty much every weekend......