Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New KMA Wincher problem identified:

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Corey-88K5, Apr 19, 2000.

1. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    The other day, I knoticed that when winching, the winch seems to pull forward quite a bit. Almost to the point of hitting the front plate that the fairlead is mounted to. The reason for this is: The rear bolt holes are too close to the back of the plate. There is only aprox 1/2" between the holt hole and the back of the plate. The plate either needs to be thicker, differen't type of steel, reinforced, or larger. Lastly it could need to be all of them! I haven't decided just the proper course of action for this is yet, but I sure don't want my friggin winch to get ripped out of the mounting plate because of a stress fracture.

I'll keep you posted.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

WOW, Thanks for the update!!
    I have not gotten a winch yet( no $$$$)in my KMA!!
    Hey so are you saying the bottom plate is bending up and forward?
    Keep us posted on the details you find!!
    Thanks again

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I will let you know also, I am gettin ready to install my winch, It seems as if you could easily weld a strip of 1/4 plate accross the back of the bumper (between the box and on to the bottom plate).

Steve

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmm, OK so do you mean ontop of the mounting plate or underneath it. How about a strip underneath that would double as a whasher/plate with bolt holes?
    And we could even add gusset type triangles to the inside corners of the box with out getting in the way of the winch.
    hmmmm........

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yep, weld a strip of plate on to the top of the mounting plate that runs the entire length and it would weld up on each side of the box (the part that bolts to the frame).

Steve

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Aaahhhhh, Roger Doger!! Over and out!![​IMG][​IMG]

7. Corey-88K5

I my self was thinking of the same thing. But using a angled piece that would come up inside behind to sorta "box" in the back. The angled part would cover where the bolt holes are, and come up parallel with the radiator. Using something like 1/4 - 1/2" thick steel would 'bout cover it I think. I will have to do some pretty good cutting up of the bumper to remove the winch. I'd also opt to lower the front mounting plate so that more of the winch is exposed. I had to recable the winch a few times, and it was always next to impos. (even worse in the field, truck at a angle, bugs up the yazoo and what not with gloves on) to do it with the front as high as it is. I'm thinking of lowering it 1-2". I also opted for warn's suggestion to weld on some channel to protect the bolts on the bumper & winch to keep it on my truck.

Corey
    88K5
    88K5

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Corey..can you do me a favor and take pics and repost the custom work you do to your Wincher??
    Thanks dude!

9. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

just weld angle iron all around it. if you cut it right and get good joints and you still have trouble then send the problem to nasa cause no mortal man can fix it. when i put my winch on im just welding my own mount

10. fredd

fredd 1/2 ton status

Corey & Steve,

As I mentioned earlier, I'm designing/building an ARB style front and rear bumper with winch provision, and spare wheel carrier.
    One point that I included in my system is a reinforcement that will eliminate the afore mantioned KMA problem completely.
    I explain, from the rear underside, centre of the winch mounting plate, connect with the original mounting holes for the OEM bumper attachment just in front of the crossmember.
    Your KMA bumper is only attached with the front points of the chassis, and in Corey case (as seen in your pictures), you cut of the front of the frame. Nobody uses the point that connect the original mounting points and sooner or later, your problem will happen (Uncle Murphy's law :)
    Also, weld/build up the rear of the mounting plate with 1" steel, 1/4" thick. This can be done above or under the edge of the mounting plate. This will avoid bending of the plate as you have now.

Next week, I will send the pictures of our system to Steve to post here, this will be a bolt-on-no-fabrication bumper and system. Also with spare wheel carrier.

fredd

11. Corey-88K5

Fredd,

Actually, unless you build up the entire winch base plate, you cannot just reinforce the top of the rear bolts. This would put the winch at a angle increasing the stress in that area. I'm opting just to reinforce the rear/bottom. Also, the small amount of frame horn's that I removed has absolutely no impact on the winch's strength. The only thing I gained from removing the area is the ability to place the winch closer to the grill of the truck. The extra does not contain any mounting holes, or provide strength.

* #################
    * # WARN #
    * ################# &
    *******( )***********( )****&
    &&&( )&&&&&

# = Whinch
    * = KMA Wincher
    ( ) = Bolt Holes
    & = New reinforced steel

I hope you guys get it from this "drawing". If not, I can do one and post the .jpg later.

Corey
    88K5

12. fredd

fredd 1/2 ton status

Corey,

I believe you misunderstood me and/or I explained badly, but we seem to come to a very similar result.
    Look at the mounting instructions from Warn.
    You will see that the distance between the mounting bolts is only 10", but that the Warn mounting plate has on the rear an upright of 1 1/2". This vertical part is what is missing on your and Steve's bumper and is the cause that your winch is tilting under working conditions.
    The space between your chassis legs is approx 27", that makes the Warn mounting bolts at 10" are very much in a narrow centre space.
    No matter how thich your mounting plate is, without the vertical part of 1 1/23", it will collaps.
    Just weld angled 2x2", 1/4" thick, under the rear of your mounting plate and it will solve your problems.
    BTW, when you cut your chassis tips, you lost 1 mounting hole each side in that tip.

fredd

13. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

Corey, I was wondering if you ever got the problems with your Wincher fixed and
    if you could post some pictures. I'm looking at getting one, and I'd like to know what I'm in for first.
    Thanks

Blazin' in Flagstaff

14. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

I plan on making a front reciever this will strengthen the frame and allow me to park a trailer easier.

15. Corey-88K5

I never corrected the problem. I'm not really going to worry about it for the time being. But I think it would be easy to fix.

Corey
    88K5