Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new lift --now have a loose steering problem --bumpsteer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gtkustoms, Mar 14, 2002.

1. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

just installed 6 inch lift on my suburban with 4 inch steering arm...the steering wheel now has a loose feeling when going over a bump..
    any ideas of what to check for the problem so i can fix this

thanks
    travis

2. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Did you get a drop pitman arm to correct the geometry?
    How about a steering stabilizer? You definately need one to help.
    I have always been told that with a 6" you need a drop pitman arm and a steering arm.
    Hope it helps.

3. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

no i did not get the pitman arm just the steering arm. it has the steering stabilizer. do you think that the dropped pitman arm would help?

4. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

What size tires are you running? I installed a 4" lift w/ the 4 "arm and 35x12.5" tires. Over the summer I ran a set of 30's for a while and was amazed at how much better it handled and how the steering was better. (if you're wondering I just ran the tiny tires to see how a gear change would probably affect my truck). From my experience the wider taller tires make the steering seem looser.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Taller tires, especially those that run lower pressure have a less "surer" feeling while steering. Added leverage and sidewall flex make the steering feel sloppy. Make sure your pressures are correct for the street and it might not be a bad idea to replace your tie rod end and drag link ends. A little looseness in the ends may seem like more with bigger tires. They are probably (don't know as it's not my rig) in need of replacement anyway. When it comes to steering and braking I believe in spending a little more money ~$200 to be safe and not sorry. Balljoints may also need to be replaced but that is more labor intensive (but might end up being the only way to get surer steering if they are worn), Hope this helps

6. Leadfoot

P.S. buy the NAPA lifetime replacement parts and keep your reciepts. You may spend a little more now, but you won't have to ever again for those parts and make a good asset if you decide to sell it.

7. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

chevblazin.... had the stock 245/75/16 on on the way to get my other tires put on now they are 35's they did seem a little looser on the way home.

8. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

would the sway bar be a problem as to helping the "loose" feeling?

9. Leadfoot

Torsion bar? I'm not sure what you mean...sway bar, stabilizer shock, etc? A new stabilizer could help and the sway bar is mainly to stop body roll, it usually doesn't "loosen" the steering if not hooked up (just makes for scary quick turns).

10. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

A sway bar disconnected on the road will intensify the floating feeling. Do you have one one and connected? I think most guys run the Rancho adjustable shocks if they have no swaybar to keep the front under control.

11. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

my sway bar is still connected.

thanks for all the replies