Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New lift, steering problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Nov 26, 2005.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I finally got a chance to put my new lift on this weekend and everything is working great except the steering. I put 8 inch springs on the front, I had 6 inch springs before that I ran for 2 years with great steering. I had the raised steering arm that bolts to the knuckle on my front axle already for my 6 inch lift. I bought a drop pitman arm to add to that for my 8 inch springs. I installed the pitman arm and it would steer really far to the right and hardly any to the left. So I made sure the steering wheel was centered and tried to adjust the drag link. I adjusted it all the way together and it still didnt help. I took the drop pitman arm off and put the stock one back on and it steers good to each side, but has the obvious bump steer on the road and can be a handful at times. I cant figure out what the problem is when I put the drop pitman arm on. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

is the drag link flat or sloped to the front with it on? if so it needs to sloped to the back just a bit. had the same problem with my stuff. then i got cross over.

3. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

With the new pitman arm on it was sloped to the back a little bit and with the stock pitman arm its sloped to the back a lot.

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

8" lift huh... Crossover time!! :wink1:

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

IMO You are pushing the limits of stock steering with an 8" lift. Angles are the killer.

6. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I will have crossover when I install my Dana 60 when im finished with it. Right now I need something to work for a little while.

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Maybe the dropped pitman arm is hitting something when you try to steer it to the left, or the drag link is hitting something with the dropped pitman arm on when you try to steer it to the left.