Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIGCHEVY4X, May 27, 2005.

1. BIGCHEVY4X

BIGCHEVY4X Registered Member

I have a 3/4 ton 82 pickup with a 2 inch lift up front and im running 35's. I am thinking about getting a 6 inch lift. Does anyone have any positive or negitive advice? Does the any of the driveline need to be modified? I plan on running 40's and getting the sawzall out for the fenders again. Is there a diffreance in the big lift companys? Superlift, Skyjacker, Rancho, or rough county. Also what about getting my current springs re arched?

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Tuff country is a good brand, I wouldn't get your springs re-arched. Be prepared for lotsa fender trimming. Your driveshafts will almost definitely need to be lengthened. Also, if you plan on serious wheeling with 40's, you're going to have to throw a lot of cash at your front axle or upgrade.

Here's mine, 6" of lift and 40's. I moved the front axle 1.5" forward to gain a little clearance as well. Just for the record, these questions come up quite often, a search can usually yield all the info you need.

[​IMG]

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

get BDS! their springs are pretty sweet and dont cost all that much. my neighbor down the street bought the 6" springs for his k5 and actually ended up getting like 7-8" lift. im putting my 8" bds springs on this weekend, so i'll see how big that turns out. u can just buy teh springs and and box kits for cheap and then go out and get ur own shocks, brakelines, and steering correction. i paid $710 for my 8" springs and front and rear box kits (ubolts, bushings, shims and hardware)

hope this helps

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you're gonna chop the fenders a good amount, I wouldnt go higher than 4-5". Low COG is good. Driveshafts will likely need to be lengthened.

yes. Consensus tends to be that BDS and Tough Country are good and somewhat flexible. I like the no-BS guarentee that BDS offers...

dont do it, it will cost $ and in the end the spring will eventually re-settle back to its current hight.

j

5. muddybuddy

ya, the bds guarentee was also another reason i chose them. my buddy with the 6" flexes real good for all spring set up

-james

6. BIGCHEVY4X

BIGCHEVY4X Registered Member

What is the general opinon on body lifts? I like the look and price of like a 2 inch lift but i really dont like the idea of my body not riding on my frame

7. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

body lift no good.to much body flex.

8. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I have had not one bad thing from a body lift, it's like 3 free inches. No driveline issues, or steering issues. 3" bodylift does not rase you center of gravity as much as a 3" spring lift does. ...and my floorboard dosen't get as hot.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

personally, I like just a little body lift. I have an ORD 1" body lift. Sometimes that extra inch between frame and body is handy. Taller body lifts (3") I'm not such a big fan of though...

j

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Body lifts, well, I would do a 1 inch, but that's about it.

11. cole01

cole01 Newbie

what is BDS

who is BDS? I am also looking to do a lift and need to know who to go with? :confused:

12. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

bds suspension, great company and great products..awesome warenty...."if your the original purchaser of any bds product and it breaks, we will give you a new part. peroid."
    i just happen to have there compleate 2005 catalog, all new product relase packets that didn't make the catalog in time for printing, and complete price sheet, right here in my hot little hand...:D
    a frind of mine owns a shop and is a distributor for them, thats how i got the goods...:)

13. muddybuddy

im installing my BDS lift hopefully this afternoon, ill post some pics when its finished.