Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Mallory distributor.....problems!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Dec 25, 2002.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Vehicle - 77 chevy blazer, 383
    I ordered a new mallory HEI distributor from Summit Racing and installed in place of my stock one. Everything went fine (i've done before) and the blazer started right up. I also install a new Edelbrock quadrajet, again with no problems. I adusted timing and all was great. Well, the next weekend I started it up and I was getting the "womp, womp" idle. I figured that the timing was off so I checked that, all wires, plug wire placement and I could not fix. Well, I took the distributor off and checked everything. When I did this, I did not notice that I broke the red wire coming from the coil(the one inside the HEI). I tried to start it with no luck. FRUSTRATION. Well I checked under the cap again and noticed that I had broken the wire. Off I go to Radio Shack to buy a soldering kit. I fixed wire and the truck will not start anymore. One spare battery later, I have not been able to start.

Is it possible to burn something without the coil red wire(broken) while I was cranking? The tach wire was connected still and so was the ground. Did I short the module or coil?

By the way, I believe the reason for the misfiring was because one of the springs for the weights had come loose. I reattached to post but I already had done the damage. The Mallory coil wires suck.

Any help here is appreciated. I searched already and this one is not to be found.

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

First off are you using a Mallory ign. coil?
    Was your truck orignally equipt. with points style dist?
    And finally is the Mallory unit your using a magnetic breakerless style?
    Sorry for all the questions but I have some first hand experance with the Mallory line. There products rule, however the instructions/tech. support leaves something to be desired.

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Yes, I am using the Mallory ignition coil that came with distributor. The engine was HEI prior to change of distributor. Below is distributor info from Summit:

This new HEI distributor from Mallory features a CNC-machined cast 356 T-6 aluminum housing for lightweight durability. It includes Mallory's new mechanical advance mechanism and adjustable vacuum advance, and comes with a red cap and rotor with brass inserts. It's a direct plug-in replacement with OE factory-type harness connectors and it includes a Mallory's high-performance coil.

GM: adjustable advance, OE factory-type harness, with high output coil, HEI distributor

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Drop your old distributor back in and see if it fires up. If it does, send the Mallory HEI distributor back to Summit Racing for either a new one or refund. Personally I'm not a fan of Mallory, I prefer MSD.

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

uh...yeah....anybody there? I know its xmas, but blazers are a 365 day a year project!

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'll second sending it back. The only ignition vendor's products I've had more trouble with than Mallory is Jacobs. MSD or Crane HI-6 for me.

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OK you have the Mallory coil! Cool, are you running the ballast resistor that came with the coil?
    If you are not then you may have a bad coil. No matter what anyone says you have to use a Mallory ballast with their coils. I have yet to figure out why but it clears up 99.9% of the issues I see with Mallory stuff. If the coil indeed went bad try to get it warrentied, and get a Mallory ballast.
    I think your solder job however may be the issue. The ign. module need a certain amount of resistance to operate correctly. Call the tech. assistance line that is on your instructions and get the module test instructions. They usually dictate them to you over the phone. Make sure your getting all the inputs/outputs you need.
    As for the issue of Mallory itself. The only time I've ever seen massive issues with their stuff is when people get involved. As in, using say a Uni-light on a 4wd! Which is to say the least STUPID!! So as far as your investment, I think you will get the results you want and years of use from the units you decided on. I have had my Mallory stuff for like 4 years now and other than the learning curve at the begining, I have had only good performance from everything.

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

OK, I tried changing the cap and coil and nothing. Mallory sucks. This is a new unit and nothing but problems. If one of the springs had not come loose none of my problems would have happened.....poor quality control.

Now, I am going to buy another distributor? What is a good solid setup for my 383. I do not want headaches, just a good higher performance distributor. Ideas one what I should buy? No Jacobs or Mallory please.

Please only suggest if you have the setup you are recommending and have had no problems.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: New Mallorydistributor.....problems!

MSD makes a nice HEI distributor. MSD [​IMG]

Pro-Billet HEI, PN 8365
    This Pro-Billet Distributor is a performance upgrade to the factory GM HEI Distributor (with a 4-Pin HEI Module). The distributor features all of the great MSD features such as the CNC machined billet housing, sealed ball bearing guide and an oversized steel shaft. Inside the housing, MSD's HEI Module provides incredible spark energy. This Module is designed to charge the coil quickly so there will be high powered sparks even at racing rpm. Inside the cap there is a special MSD Coil matched to the Module to provide great spark voltage.
    The distributor comes complete with a high quality cap with brass terminals and rotor. There is also an adjustable mechanical advance plus an economy improving vacuum advance canister. All you need to do is drop it in and connect 12 volts!
    Pro-Billet HEI PN 8365
    CARB Approved, D-40-22

10. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

yeah, I was thinking MSD. Should I get a distributor with the coil on cap or an external setup? What are the pros and cons? Where are all the ignition experts?

Thanks for your help ahead of time.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm not a ignition expert, but I like the HEI unit with the coil in the cap. You can still use a MSD 6AL ignition box with it, or run it as a stand alone. You can use the coil in the cap, or get a adaptor and run a exturnal coil. Lots of options with MSD.

12. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Why don't you use the info. I gave you to fix the ultra reliable setup you have?
    You have lots of options no matter what setup you have, and the system you have now is a great bunch of stuff.
    Answer the questions I gave you and you will be set. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Why does Mallory suck when you need to diag. the problem, not buy more parts?

13. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I appreciated your help. The distributor ran for no more than 30 minutes before it had problems. It started and ran excellent the first day. Difference between old setup was night and day. The problem is that the spring came of one of the post and I believe this screwed things up. I have tried different coils (new), modules(one new and one old) and checked everything. This is a headache that a brand new product should not be giving. The installation was right because it was running great. Something gave while it was idleing in my driveway. The situation sucks because the product obviously not of quality.

I am returning this one. I just bought the MSD HEI distributor at Summit and it will be here by Saturday. I will post the end results.

Again, thanks for your help.

14. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Re: New Mallory distributor.....problems! UPDATE

OK, recieved my new MSD HEI distributor today. I marked the bad Mallory unit and pulled it. Problem! The MSD will not install at same mark as Mallory. When I placed them next to each other with rotor and vacuum advance aligned, I noticed that the gear/cam notch is not aligned. Is this normal? Does this mean I need to find number one and then install? Won't it be off too much? Do I need to reinstall the gear from the new MSD unit to match the distributor being replaced?
    Help please.
    in the same position as the
    JS

15. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Re: New Mallory distributor.....problems! UPDATE

I think you are talking about the oil pump shaft drive slot.. Don't worry. If it is the slot on the bottom of the dist you are talking about take a long straight screw driver and put it in the dist. hole in in the block. There is a shaft in there , just turn it so it matches the tab on the bottom of the dist.

John

16. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Quite my Comp 9000 unilite just hear you. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I've run Mallory unilites for a long time I don't have to much of a problem with them I do carry a spare photo cell just in case but this comp 9000 has yet to give me any problems.
    knock on wood

Eric

17. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

The only reason I say that they don't belong on a 4wd if just that reson. The optics, and module do not like the dirt and moisture. Which is how Mallory got a bad wrap in the 4x4 world. IMO /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Glad your setup works well for ya. I love my Mallory stuff.