Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new master cylinder install help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Apr 1, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

alright so what do i need to do to install my new master cylinder (from p30 van) ?

thanks

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

bench bleed the new one in a vice, then remove the old, install new, bleed lines :thumb:

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i dont have a vice:doah: what do you mean by bench bleed? ive never dealt with a master cylinder b4 :doah:

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Bench Bleeding..

You can bleed it on the truck too,just bolt it onto the power brake booster,and use either a "bench bleeder kit" which is nothing but fittings that fit into the holes the brake lines screw into,and 2 rubber hoses,--or use peices of brake lines that properly fit the master cylinder..bend them so they are submerged under the brake fluid in the resiviours,and fill them up nearly full..if using the rubber hoses supplied with the kit you get with a new or rebuilt master cyl,the hoses can be kept submerged by using clippy clothespins ...

All you need to do is pump the brake pedal,all the way to the floor, SLOWLY about 5-10 times,making sure the hoses or lines stay UNDER the fluid in the resivour...and its "bench bled"!..then you can connect the brake lines,and start the fun of bleeding all 4 wheels if need be..sometimes you dont have to,other times it takes hours to bleed the lines to all 4 wheels,unless you have a pressure bleeder or other device available.

I've had good luck just "gravity bleeding" brakes on GM trucks--just open one bleeder and let it dribble for a few moments,then top off the fluid and repeat on the other wheels....:crazy:

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

1 other thing some masters blead air all out in 5-10 pumps. some take longer to bench blead. before installing truck lines to it blead it till no more air comes from lines or up the holes from inside the master. and also do some 1/2 and 1/4 pumps to catch some of the sneeky air hiding and also some small bouncy movements also help to get the air out. but slow is the big key and if not it will spew out the top like a rocket.