Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new member 90 blazer wont start

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigblazinfd, Jul 5, 2006.

1. bigblazinfd

bigblazinfd Registered Member

Ok so I recently purchased a 90 k5 blazer. My problem is that it will not turn over. I left the ignition on the other day for about 24 hrs before I realized it so the battery was obviously drained. I charged the battery but am getting nothing but a click and not a starter click more just a click from the ignition being turned. The battery is charged now but I am getting no lights inside or out to turn on the guages are pegged to the right. What should I do or check? I am new and trying to learn as I go here so please be patient with my stupidity here.

2. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard! I know you mentioned you charged the battery, did you check to see if the battery was holding the charge?

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have to agree, sounds like a fried battery. Check your connections at the battery first though. If that does not work try a jump start.

4. bigblazinfd

I will check to see if it is holding a charge. I tried to get it jumped and that did nothing disconnected the battery already and hooked it back up so I know the connections are good. Im gonna go play with it some more.........

5. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Have you checked your battery cable ends to make sure they are clean & free of corrosion? Have you checked to make sure you have a good ground connection? If you don't have a battery tester you can take your battery to an auto parts store & have them check it. They'll let you know if it's toast & gladly sell you a new one.

6. bigblazinfd

Well I took the battery to the parts store to have them check it and it was fine so I went back home hooked it back up and it fired right up. Dont really know at this point if it was the connection or the battery but it is fine now. Checked the alternator after it started and they said it is fine to so whatever it was it is better now. Thanks to everyone for the help, I am new to this 4x4 life.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just keep an eye on that battery.

I had one that "tested" good at the parts store (I don't trust any of their tests BTW, I was trying to get it warranteed) but wouldn't crank the engine over from full charge for more than about 3 seconds.

Could have been cables as well, but if the battery was drained like you say, it was probably pretty badly harmed.

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Also check your ignition modual.

9. bigblazinfd

ok thanks to everyone once again this sight is really informative. I will keep my eyes on it but it is doing good so far.

10. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

The best way to check the condition of a battery is to use a hydrometer to check the specific gravity of its electrolyte. This tests the weight of the electrolyte and condition of the chemicals in it. After time the chemicals are used up, preventing the battery from charging fully (or even holding a charge).

The parts store probably used a load test, which will test the battery's short-term recovery ability. Its not as accurate, but if the battery responds well, it should be OK.