Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Member - 97 Tahoe

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Reno-Tahoe97, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Reno-Tahoe97

Reno-Tahoe97 Registered Member

Hello all! Just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few newbie questions if I may.

First off, I just bought a 97 Dark Green Chevy Tahoe LT 4-Door and LOVE IT. I am somewhat new to the 4x4 world but have extensive background in auto modification as my other car is a 94 Pontiac Firehawk with a stroked 396ci LT1 and every suspension mod known to MAN!

What I'm interested in doing is a mild lift (4-6") and slap on some nice chrome rims and 33's. Nothing crazy as I will still have to take clients (I'm in outside sales) around in the rig. Don't want to make them "jump" up into the dang thing. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

What suggestions on lift kits would you experienced guys/gurls suggest? How much am I looking at with installation included. I'm not faint of heart as you would probably drop a load at the stack of receipts I have for the Firehawk. However, I would like to keep it somewhat modest as I do not intend to go rock crawling in Moab anytime soon. Maybe your occasional off-raod hunting trip.

Also, what web sites have the best package deals for accessories etc.??? GIVE ME EVERYTHING YOU'VE GOT!

Thanks in advance and I look forward to reading and sharing with you all!

Take care,
    Keegan

2. wrath

wrath 1/2 ton status

Hey congrats on yer purchase...I've got a post below with some problem areas for these years..Mines a '97 Tahoe 2dr 4x dark green also...
    you'll get some other help on the accessories but off the top of my head I just got a catolog today for Sears Automotive ,they have quite the selection and you can get a free catolog by calling 1-800-500-5088 but some others is JCWhitney,Godfather customs,Godmudders,and heres a link to chevy apparrel
    http://www.globeshop.com/chevyshop/

3. Reno-Tahoe97

Thanks Wrath. I'll check out the sites and catalogs and your post. Always good to know the trouble areas BEFORE they go bad so I know what to expect if it does.

KDub

4. wrath

wrath 1/2 ton status

If you checked out the other post of mine you'll see these guys were a huge help ...the other thing I can suggest is if something is major and you take it in ..make sure to get a second opinion...That dealership really has me P.O.ed over that Carrier deal..I realize their not all like that but you shop around for every other purchase,right?

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard!

Deffenetly would like to hear more about that Firehawk! (there's a "Other-Rides" Forum below this one)

I'm not much help with the 4" lift kit for the C/K body styles. - I haven't done much with those. We do install lifts kits on the new Silverados, and judgeing by those, I would stongly recomend getting a kit that has a welded sub-frame. The seam to be far-better than the muliti-piece kits.
    We've had good luck with the RCD kits and Ranchos.

6. Reno-Tahoe97

Thanks for the input.....looks like I'm leaning towards Rancho right now for that reason. I'll post all about the Hawk in the "Other Rides" section. I have an uncompleted web site at http://www.onyxhawk.com I haven't updated it since the 396 install. Soon though.....soon.

Keegan