Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Member Add A Leaf Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by morcav, Oct 13, 2006.

1. morcav

morcav Registered Member

Im In Germany And Just Bought Another K5, I'm Trying To Achieve A Stought And Capable Lift Without Ordering Any New Spring Packs Because Of Shipping, Last Weekend I Put On 2" Blocks In The Rear And Have A Add A Leaf To Put On This Weekend And Some33" Bfg At's On The Way( Kicking Myself In The Ass For Not Ordering 35"s) Because Now I Want 4 Inches

Questions Are:
    1) The Add A Leaf Looks Kinda Long And Looks Like It Will Hit That Little Clip Towards The End Of My Spring Pack, Do I Need To Remove This And If So Do I Need To Put It Back?
    2)if I Do Go With 4" I Will Do A Shackle Flip In The Back And Need To Figure A Way To Get 3" In The Front To Level Out The "saggy But", Can I Put A Zero Rate Below The Long Add A Leaf(there Is No Overload Spring And I Only Have 2 Springs Total On My Stock Spring Pack)

Any Help Is Greatly Appreciated!!

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Add a leaves make for a stiff ride. Do a shackle flip and get your front springs re-arched, any spring company can do that for you. Is there nowhere you can buy spring packs? Explorer Procomp here in England could supply them and I doubt shipping to Germany would cost too much but re'arching would be way cheaper. Then just make zero's to fine adjust.

3. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

If you do an add-a-leaf you will need to disasemble the spring pack and insert the new leaf. It will then fit inside the little clip.

If you already have 3 leaves in the front pack I wouldn't do an add-a-leaf. I did this on my old K5 and the ride was terrible.

4. morcav

morcav Registered Member

I Only Have Two Leaves Up Front And They Both Wrap Around The Bushing Eyelets, Do I Still Put It Between Them???

5. morcav

morcav Registered Member

All Of The Other Lift Options I Am Exploring For My 4" And Saving For, But For Now I Gotta Get This Add A Leaf On So I Can Comfortly Fit My 33's, Not To Mention I Already Put My 2" Blocks In The Back, Which For Some Reason Started Giving Me Vibes When I Start To Give It Gas And When I Take My Foot Off??

6. morcav

morcav Registered Member

Do You Have The Number To A Shipping Place Up There In England That Bwould Ship Spring Packs, And How Much Do The Springs Cost Because I Was Up There About A Year Ago For Some Training And The Pound About Killed My Bank Account

7. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

No, the add-a-leaf goes on the bottome of the pack. All you do is unbold(cut) the center bolt and then install the new leaf in the bottom of the pack with a new center bolt (Napa, CarQuest, etc. sells center bolts)

I use 2 c-clamps to hold the leaf packs together while I unbolt them, then you can slowly release any preload in the leafs.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you can't find a bolt, just round the head on a grade 8 and use it.

9. morcav

morcav Registered Member

Thanks Alot Guys, I Put Them On Last Night And You Were Right, The Ride Is Awfull, When I Was Leaving The Post Here I Hit A Speed Bump And Thought My Front End Was Gonna Fall Off, But It Will Be Alright For Now (just Gotta Go Slow Over Those Things) So I'll Have No Prob's With My 33's Until I Decide How I Wanna Go About Gettin 4" In The Back And 3" In The Front And Then Scrape The Money Together To Get It, Any Suggestions