Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Member...buying a K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RubberFloorMat, Dec 12, 2004.

1. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hi everyone!!

first off im not new to 4x4's, but i am new to K5's, but most mechanical stuff is the same as the trucks so ill be fine on that end.

ive been messing with 5.0 mustangs for the past few years, but im in need of another winter/daily driver, and dont really want a reg cab pickup.

looking at the following:

1991 Chevy K5 red with white top.
    110k miles
    2nd owner, and i know the first too.
    stripper model, Scottsdale trim, hence the screenname "rubberfloormat"

350TBI
    700r4
    10 bolt front and rear.

what appears to be a 4" Rancho lift, with crappy old shocks.

33/12.50/15 Hankook M/T's

paint has a bit of oxidation, but no rust at all and i haven t found as much as a ding on it, just some scratches and such, never had tint on the windows and has the original stereo etc....

ive offered the guy 3100 bucks for it, what do yall think is fair?

he was asking 3800 a few months ago, but its in a small town so no takers.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am not a fan of Scottsdales, especially the late model K5's because of the lack of the quad headlight setup that looks really nice. I probably wouldn't give any more than 2.5K for it but I haven't seen it.

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

:rolleyes:

Is anything new? exhaust brakes etc? If a lot of stuff is new and the maintenance has kept up, I'd go for it.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I like the stripper model's...less crapola to go wrong. Nothing worse than 15 year old power windows, door locks etc. that don't work. The 2 headlight front end looks just as good, just different IMO.

My buddy has an 89 that has almost no options, exactly the way he likes them too. I think the only option his got was the auto tranny.

Rene

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is there a reason why you quoted me? :screwy: Like I said, if it was me I wouldn't buy it because of the Scottsdale package.

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I see the new "rolleyes" smily looks decidedly uneyerollish and did not get my point across. To clarify, I was rolling my eyes at you because you would only buy a newer K5 with quad headlamps and the "fancy" trim. I realize this is your opinion, but the K5 sounds like a good deal to me and I would go for it, if I was in the position of wanting a K5 and having $ in hand. Sorry for the confusion. :waytogo:

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Welcome to CK5 !

Good to see another Mustang driver. There are getting to be a lot of us here. I have a 87 LX Vert.

As for the truck question as which is better. It depends on what you want it for.
    The first K5 you listed looks nice. If you want it for a winter ride and dont plan on doing hard wheeling a stock truck would be best. It will be better on the street and get better Fuel MPG. T

If you are into off road and want a lifted truck the second model with the lift may be a better choice. The 4" lift is a good start.
    You didn't list the year. there were some changes from 87 to 91.
    91s have better 700R4s and better heads than pre 89 models.
    The 700R4s in the 88 and up blazers are the better models. Eariler 700s were weaker and prone to problems. 700s need an aftermarket trans cooler and regular yearly fluid changes.
    The price range you are in seems about right.

If you are used to working on your 5.0 The TBI system should not cause you headaces. It is a very simple system.

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Have you thoroughly check the floors? Look under every bit of rubber floor mat you can. Also crawl underneath the whole thing and inspect the body mounts and crossmembers.

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The price sounds reasonable and all that matters is if it is worth it to YOU .

From your description it sounds good ! Money well spent in my opinion.
    Tom

10. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

well looks like my boss snagged it over the weekend, which kinda pisses me off cause he already has 2 F-250's and a 03 4x4 Tahoe....

the Blazer was bought by his brother new and has been in his uncles possesion since it had 75k on it.

but, hes been known to buy and sell his toys, he bitches all the time about his 03 Mach 1, and 2 Banshees he never gets to play with.

been looking around, no nice K5's in my area that arent show trucks for sale...might have to start looking at Burbs, but those are a bit big for my taste.

11. f__dguy

f__dguy Registered Member

Good luck with the K5 hunt. I just bought mine about a month ago and Im lovin it. This is a great place to learn about these trucks if your not too familiar with them like me. I have had a bunch of Mustangs also and currently have an 03 Mach 1.