Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Member Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xlr857, Nov 1, 2002.

1. xlr857

xlr857 Registered Member

Hello everyone, I just purchased a 81 Blazer from my boss for $1000.00. Im new to the whole offroad deal. My current car hobby is drag racing 97 Z28. But Im very eager to get rompin. It came with 4" lift and 33" mud terrains. I was wanting to go to a 6" lift and some 35's or maybe 39's. The driveshaft has been lenghtened for the 4" lift it already has. My boss said not to do it because it will end up losing some of its offroad capability being to topheavy or something. I would greatly appreciate anyone who could steer me to some good websites for info. Also I would like to update the grill to a 91 model year where is the best place to purchase this. Sorry for all the newbie questions but this is the only site Ive found with a decent amount of members. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Or if anyone has some advice for someone who doesnt know a whole alot please help me out. Thanks.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

What do you plan on doing with your truck? What style of off-roading? If you upgrade to 35s and don't mind doing a little fender trimming, your 4" lift is plenty for most applications. You'll notice that the 4"/35 combo is very popular around here.

Don't bother looking for other websites- you've found the ONLY place you'll ever need right here!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Welcome to CK5, brother.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

One other thing- PLEASE fill in your profile as completely as possible. It helps us to help you. And if you don't, Zakk is gonna be on your a$$ until you do...... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Zakk is gonna be on your a$$

[/ QUOTE ]

EEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. xlr857

xlr857 Registered Member

Thanks for the replys the only offroading I will be doing really is going out playing in the mud, a little hill climbing nothing too crazy no rock climbing.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The most popular mod on Blazers is upgrading your axles !!!!! 1 ton is the set up of choice. (14 bolt FF in the rear, and a Dana 60 in the front.) I'm going 3/4 ton becouse of cost of 1 ton.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Think we should turn Robzilla and Marv loose on this poor guy?
    Hmmmmm he would either run and hide or those two will turn him into a gonzo nutcase like they are /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Welcome to CK5!
    That's a smoking deal on that year truck if its any kind of decent shape. Hell if it runs and drives that's a smoking deal.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Wasn't Robzilla 'normal' til he met Marv??? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Gonna play in the mud? In Arizona? ALlrighty then, but I thought that mud was hard to come by down there! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif You can go to 35s without lifting the truck anymore, just give the fenders a little trim and they'll fit right in there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I wouldn't recommend going any bigger than 35s without upgrading the axles though, the stock ones just can't handle much more than that.

Welcome to CK5! </font color>

10. Grim-Reaper

MARV@ ROBZILLA got ya one!

Nope Rob was a nutcase before that. We have a crew of nucases here that he was hanging out with. Here are some shots of him with his 72 short bed he use to run.
    [​IMG]
    Here is one at Slick rock at Tellico in the snow!
    [​IMG]
    As for this guy's question. Bigger tires do mean the Center of gravity move up. You truck is about as stout as then came. It has all the best parts on it that came stock. It has a NP205 case, 12 bolt rear and 10 bolt front. TH350c (lock up converter). It's a great truck to start with. Rob and Marv are pretty gonzo and still running the same drivetrain you have on 35's. To get the same ground clearence under the diff you have now with one ton gear you need to go to about 38 inch tire and about 6 inches of lift. Either way works but 35 inches is about the max you want to run with the axles under your truck. If your wanting to go larger then you really need to go to D60 front and a 14 rear. Your looking at about $3k for the conversion, wheels and tires unless you just luck out and get a smoking deal on the D60 front. The advantage is your about bulitproof and breakage should be about zero axle wise but might start blowing drive shafts /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Hang around for a while and look at some trucks and see what you really want to do. I decided 35's were big enough for me. I upgraded my front axle shafts and going to see how long I can go before I start busting parts.
    Ohh hell lets introduce him to the Gonzo twins /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Fresh meat for the Gonzo twins

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Ohh hell lets introduce him to the Gonzo twins/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole CK5 site is a bad influence on poor unsuspecting K5 'newbies'. They come here looking for a little lift and 33" AT's and within a month they're shopping for One ton diffs, hydro steer and doublers and looking for ways to stuff their beadlocked 42's under their Blazer with only 4" of lift...then they get seriously crazy after that/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Soon they lose sleep cooking up the latest mod instead of catching the must needed 'Z's'...

Their mortgage payments are made out to ORD... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Personally I've resigned myself to never being done building my truck... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Rene

12. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

Re: Fresh meat for the Gonzo twins

Hey Rene, I resemble that remark.

13. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Brad,

Don't listen to all these lies...!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Rob's crazy /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif!.... I try to stay away from him /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif..... But I'll be glad to help you any way I can! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Marv

14. Grim-Reaper

Funny Rob said the same thing about you! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif