Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Member Needs Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by smilee, Jan 2, 2002.

1. smilee

smilee Newbie

Hi, I just purchased an 89 K 5 about 1 month ago. I am having a problem with it cutting out once it has warmed up and is doing about 50mph. Thus far I have replaced the EGR, O2 sensor, fuel filter, and TPS. I have scanned it and it comes up with no codes. Any help would be appreciated, I'm running out of ideas.
    Thanks,
    Lacie

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

What about the fuel pump itself? does it do it in overdrive as well as in 3rd?
    Welcome to the site too!!!!
    If you find a way out let me know[​IMG] I'm stuck here 24/7/365*

* not really but close enough
    <font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I second that. Sounds like maybe a fuel starvation problem at high speeds.

1st post too! [​IMG] Welcome to CK5 Lacie! [​IMG][​IMG]

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    Ryan B.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Welcome to Ck5.

Are you actually scanning using a scanner or a code reader? Having no codes does not mean all your sensors are working properly (ask me how I know that). My example - had no codes and a cold running problem - turned out to be a manifold air temp sensor was showing 175* at startup in the morning - so you can have a problem without a code. Get a real scanner if you don't already have one (Auto Xray for example for $159) and scroll through all the parameters, looking for what seems out of place. Another thing to check - when you replaced the TPS, did you set it for the idle voltage? My TPI setup requries .54 volts +/- .07, not sure what the reading for your TBI setup should be but it needs to be checked. Let us know what you find and if we can offer more ideas.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I'm with them on fuel pump, I think those are tank mounted, not sure, I have a 72 Blazer, no such thing then.

Something else to check are the fuel lines. Make sure it is not flattened or pinched anywhere causing a flow restriction.

The last thing would be is the distributor advance working correctly?

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

6. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Try changing the fuel filter as well.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>