Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Member needs Roll Cage Tips for 75 Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerloco, Jun 15, 2005.

1. blazerloco

blazerloco Registered Member

Howdy: I just signed up for this board after stumbling on it in the Off-Road BB. Anyways, a little personal info. I'm from Michigan and I love trucks. I recently bought a mostly rust-free 75 Blazer off of Ebay. I have 3 other trucks that I have had for years: 88 Bronco, 91 YJ, and a 96 Z-71. Locally, I go muddin. But I also travel to Colorado and Utah once in a while for some crawlin. Anyways, I'm lookin to build a roll cage for the 75 Blazer and could use some tips/pictures. The truck has the factory roll bar, but I need something better. I would appreciate any ideas/pictures anyone might have. Thanks!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Here is a few pic's of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rene

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hey tR, you have a pic of what your cage looks like in the tailgate area? can't really see all that well in the pics... got one with the gate off or down? I'm not a professional fab guy, but your cage is definitely gonna be inspirational for my design. Only thing two things I will probably do differently. 1) use a big X brace in the b hoop + a horizontal for harness mounting etc instead of V-shape design you went with. 2) I plan on chopping the butt end of my rig a little bit and narrowing and/or shortening the bed so the rear half won't be as long.

j

4. tRustyK5

Here ya go J...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a random pic from the last time I went fishing...lol

[​IMG]

sorry the cage pics are dark...but it is currently dark outside and the pic's were taken about 10 minutes ago.

HTH

Rene

5. jekbrown

wow... thats not what I was expecting... at all. lol! :grin: for some reason I thought the long tubes that connect the b-hoop to the rear of the bed were shorter, had a bend in them so they went vertical for the last 30cm or so and had a horizontal crossmember between them at that bend (forming a node with the other members that come down from the top hoop in the far back). Maybe I am thinking of someone else's cage? lol! I dunno... all I know is those new pics surprised the crap out of me. ;) Anyway, in retrospect would you do anything differently?

j

6. tRustyK5

I don't think I'd do anything too different. I will be adding some horizonatal bars between the downbars (across the tops of the wheelwells and inline with the direction the hi-lift is currently) I feel that is something I overlooked at the time, and will do tons to help strengthen the rear downbars, tying them into the rest of the cage better.

Other than that I may make minor additions here and there. Like everything, it's alwyas a work in progress.

Rene

7. blazerloco

blazerloco Registered Member

Wow that's a roll cage! What materials/tools did you use? I know you wanna use DOM Tubing, but what material grade of steel? What OD/wall?What did you use for a bender? Thanks forthe pics!

8. tRustyK5

That is 1.75" x .120" wall HREW tubing...it's just mild steel. It might be 1018, but I don't have the mill certs anymore so i can say for sure. I used the JD2 tube bender that i bought from Van Sant. www.tricktools.com

I also used their notcher, and most of the welding I did at work with a high end Miller. Most home machines will have no trouble with roll cage tubing though.

Rene

9. jekbrown

lol, so long as they have your mad skillz. I ain't welding up my cage, no way in heck. My crappy stick welder booger welds ain't makin' the cut. I plan on tacking things into place and bringing in someone who knows what they are doing. :) I'm using 1.75 x 0.120 wall DOM for my cage... I really like the look of jungle gyms, so it will prolly have a few extra crossmembers, braces etc that might not even really add much to overall strength. Over kill is good. ;)

j

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Smittybuilt used to sell a cage kit for a '75 with a factory roll bar. It welds to the factory bar. The part number was 2 letters followed by the number 84 if I remember right. You might want to snoop around and see if it is still available. :-)

11. tRustyK5

I wouldn't attempt cage welding with stick either...mad skilz or not LOL.

Rene

12. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I agree with the no stick idea, mine was hard enough to weld up and I was using a hi-end Snap-on MIG.

13. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

I have the smitty in the front and added the rear section to mine. I had to design it around my soft top so I could still fold it down and protect my kids as well. DIY4x4 has some great floor plates and bracing for cages. I used them in my build. Here are some pics from the past not really showing the full cage, but may help. I can take some pics next time I take the top down if you need a better idea.

DSC00705.JPG

DSC00711.JPG

DSC00709.JPG

DSC00710.JPG