Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Member/ New Project

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by treybizttu, Apr 12, 2007.

1. treybizttu

treybizttu Newbie

Howdy,

Thought I would post up for some input on my latest project. All of my previous trail rigs/ beaters have been some sort of Jeep Product but, I have crossed over into the fullsize crowd. I like to be able to haul the dirtbikes to the trail with me so a truck seemed like the natural choice. I plan on Daily Driving it (short commute) and hitting some trails....

What I ended up with

86 CUCV (actually someone posted a link to the ad on craigslist on here a while back...
    Stock with 53k.
    The Paint Sucks (Non-orig. crappy camo) but it rust free and runs great.
    Completely Stock as far as I can tell.
    It leaks a little oil around the head but other than that everything seems cherry.

Parts I have already:
    37x13.50x17 X-Terrains (Almost new and they were cheap)
    14B Disc Brake Brackets

In the mail:
    Corbeau Baja SS Seats
    17x8 Soft 8s

Plans (short term):
    ORD "style" Front Bumper.. (Off a buddys K5)
    12k Winch
    ORD 4" or 2.5" Shackle Flip
    Tuff Country 2" or 3" Front Springs ( I want to stay low and stable)
    Zero Rates on the Front
    ORD Shackles
    F-250 Shock Towers .. Not sure on shocks
    Complete Disc Brake Conversion
    Install a radio...
    35 Spline Stubs
    Line-x Interior and Bed

Plans (Eventually):
    Twin- Sticked 205
    40 or 42s
    Interior Cage
    Chromoly Shafts and CTMs
    Motor.... I have a buddy that is a wiz with 6.2s but I can't decide if it would be worth it...

A few questions I had...

Those with an NP208.. Will I have to modify the rear driveshaft with a lift of less than 4"?

I want to do the cross over steering but I don't think it will be in the budget right off the bat.. Will it be tolerable with the zero rates, 3" springs (at most), and the stock steering?

I am sure i will come up with more questions.. I appriciate any help.

Thanks,
    Trey

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

With under 4" of lift, the rear driveshaft should be fine, the front might need some help, lengthening it would be cheap, here it costs $50.
    The Steering would also be OK, it will not be great for rock crawling but it doesn't look like you are plannig on rock crawling.:D
    I think your build makes sense, and I would keep the 6.2 it awesome off road.

3. treybizttu

treybizttu Newbie

Thanks for the reply...

I have done my fair share of rockcrawling and I am sure the CUCV will some rocks.. However, I have really lust the bug to do anything extreme anymore. I just want something to do moderate trails/ some rockcrawling. And as far as steering goes. I just want to be on the cheap side for a month or two... PSC is local to me so I will use them when money permits for hydro-assist/ high steer..

Again.. Thanks for the input.

Trey

4. treybizttu

treybizttu Newbie

Well I got the 37s mounted on a set of the new body style dodge alloys.... I know it is evil but it looks good. They rub a little on the TREs so I orded a set of spacers today...

I did have a question for you guys...

Does anyone on here run a Can-Back or anything similar on their LB truck?

Thanks,
    Trey