Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New member - New truck owner

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Blazer2WD, Sep 21, 2005.

1. 78Blazer2WD

78Blazer2WD Registered Member

I sort of inherited a 1978 2WD Blazer. Kinda..familiarizing myself with this world of trucks and such. I'm MUCH more of a car guy. AutoX, drag, drifting, etc. Anyway, I've been told a 2WD Blazer is 'very' rare, so..at this point, I'm somewhat undecided what to do with this truck.

In the meantime, I figured I'd settle in and read like a maniac. This seems like the most solid k5 board around..so here I am.

Hi.

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

psh 2wd ;)

If I had that truck, I would just treat it to a nice resto-mod. Make it look pretty, and give it a healthy engine.

I think you'll like the blazer though... I can't think of too many other things that 3 people can sit in the engine compartment and tear down an engine.

3. 78Blazer2WD

Hah!

Yeah, well..from what I can tell, it's in fine shape. New brakes, new tires/wheels, new carb, '89 Front end and Rear, also '89 interior. Newer paint job...it's definitely a nice looking truck. But, I'm not into off roading..not into sub 20 MPG and..it's a 2WD, so that kinda rules out real off roading. I'm looking for reasons to keep it, rather than sell it off. I'm going to do a few more..things to it. Kinda clean it up a bit, wax it, all that freshening stuff..drive it around for a bit and see if it grows on me.

Otherwise, I might be back here to sell it.

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Buy a real K5 and use the 2WD blazer to tow it :)

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Pre-runner!! 80+ mph with air time etc etc. All pre-runners are 2WD (OK, 90% anyways)

Just cuz it's 2WD doesn't mean it can't be fun off road!

Rene

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Do what ya want , but keep this in mind ..... HAVE FUN no matter what you do :D

Now personally , I feel if its 2wd , and not being worked , it should be hot rodded . Maybe a slight drop and definitely a little higher out back .

Pre runners are nice , but real go fast desert trucks should be 4wd if ya ask me :wink1:

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Exactly what I was thinking with a resto-mod. Make the body look all purdy, build a decent motor, drop the front a bit and put some big meats on the back. Stylin :)

Pre-runners are hot too, but only if you live in an area where you can do some pre-runnin. Add a locker and you could do some trail-running, but 4wd helps a lot for that :|

8. 78Blazer2WD

So, are 2WD Blazers as rare as people are telling me? As for hot rodding, I already have my project cars unfortunately. =/ I'm literally out of room physically and financially. But I'm not one to just pass things over. Whether I sell it or keep it, I want to take care of it and clean it up so it's in even better condition than it was received.

I read the READ ME FIRST post before joining...so when I ask this, it's only because it's a bit more difficult to find the value given the year. I tried KBB and other sites, but they don't seem to go below the 80's in car years. What would something like this be worth if it's in fine mechanical and visual condition, and a 2WD?

If the above is out of line, I'll gladly remove it. Just kinda probing evey angle I can. I'm getting plenty of mechanical information from this site, but I haven't seen too many '78 2WDs around. :)

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

2wd K5. I'd probley lower it. Not a frame scraper, but just alittle. Stick the widest tires that'll fit on the rear, put a killer stereo system in it, and take it out crusin'.

10. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

restore, paint, build trailer, tow around your rice burners

11. 78Blazer2WD

Rice burners? Hmm, I suppose the stereotypes live on. Oh well.

That's not a bad idea, but again, I am still out of space physically. I don't have anywhere to park/store it at this time. As of now, it's at a friends. That's fine for now, but I definitely don't want to overextend that welcome with a friend. It would be great to have a truck to haul things around.

Hmm..I wonder what the insurance would be like.

12. senatorwoodhouse

senatorwoodhouse 1/2 ton status

I dont know about california, but insurance in Iowa is DIRT CHEAP for old trucks. I'm with Rene (tRustyk5), PRE-RUNNER. What is its MPG? W/ 350 or 305 it should get ~20.... Sounds like a cool rig though, Welcome to the board!!

13. 78Blazer2WD

Thanks. As far as I know, it has a 350. I'm still in the process of checking it out. Haven't been into the engine bay yet. I'd say I have another month of work on it (little things here and there) and in that time I'll make up my mind as to what I want to do with it, heh.

14. gauder

gauder Banned

Just remember, stereotypes start because there is a measure of truth to them.

15. 78Blazer2WD

Perhaps, but if everyone then tosses the measuring cup, what happens? Stating that I could tow my 'rice burners' with this truck implies that I, myself, am a ricer. To me, that holds a negative connotation. But, all that aside, I do understand where it comes from.

Anyway..I'm just here to explore the world of trucks and offroading. I'm completely new to it, but not new to engines, suspension, etc. just..in the context of trucks. :) I'm looking foward to learning and so far am impressed with the quality of this community and board.

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey, fill out your profile (including other vehicles) and we'll have a truer sense of who you are....

:usaflag:

17. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

2WD Blazers are cool! Sorry to hear you have no space, time, or money for it. You can sell it to me. ;)

Post pics of this bad boy.

18. 78Blazer2WD

I'll get right on it. ;)

I should have some pics of it tonight. If you are serious about purchasing is (despite us being on opposite coasts) PM me.

19. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I have a spare 4wd Blazer chassis. ;) , I would be interested in the body but I am not finished beating or hacking mine yet. It is only beginning for my 78 K5. :D

20. 78Blazer2WD